PSA: 200 series issue with some motherboards

Author
blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8875
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 22
2010/08/23 12:37:01 (permalink)
I ran a forum search and checked the stickies first.

I recently removed my EVGA GT 220 from my main rig and put it in my backup computer and ran into some problems. First of all, it would take a full 5 minutes to get through POST to boot Windows. This seems to be a common problem with some older socket 775 motherboards, especially those that support celeron, pentium, and core 2 duo processors. The motherboard in my main rig is a socket 775 but it doesnt have this issue. The problem has been well documented on the Nvidia forums and appears to stem from older motherboards that have MTRR disabled causing A0000~D0000 memory to be uncacheable. You can view the thread here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/...wtopic=150630&st=0

Nvidia says the solution is to flash a new video BIOS to either the GPU or the motherboard, but so far it doesnt seem like any manufacturers have done this. I just wanted to let everyone know about this since I have been trying to figure out this problem for days and its been driving me crazy.

3 Replies Related Threads

ignatius_reilly
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:PSA: 200 series issue with some motherboards 2010/08/24 09:37:05 (permalink)
    I believe I'm having his problem, except beyond the slow start up generally everything goes at a snails pace. Even typing this is hell. I have a GT240 and an SiS 672 MB, I'm guessing that falls in line with the older brands. Very frustrating. Flashing my BIOS terrifies me really, hopefully there is another method.
    blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:PSA: 200 series issue with some motherboards 2010/08/24 15:12:23 (permalink)
    There is a method to test your motherboard for compatibility and was mentioned on page 3 of that thread, here is the post:

"
    I wanted to provide an update on this issue as it has been a while. Unfortunately this is only an update as we have not finalized our findings yet. We are still trying to obtain some of the motherboards reported in this thrad. Presently, it appears it may be due to the motherboard BIOS, not the card itself. If after examining additional motherboards, the results are the same, this means that the fix will be to ask the motherboard maker to provide a BIOS update with a fix. The fix is very simple. A register in the motherboard BIOS must be enabled which appears some may not have enabled it. Your motherboard must have Memory Type Range Register (MTRR) enabled. To check, you may do the following however this will require some technical knowledge:

First, download the file below:

http://nvidia.s3.amazonaws.com/msd.zip

Unzip the files contents. You will need to run the utility in pure DOS (means you will need to create a DOS boot disk and boot off of the DOS boot disk). Add "device=himem.sys" in config.sys and load smartdrv.exe in autoexec.bat in the DOS boot disk or else the boot disk will take a long time to load. Type "msd.exe" to start the program. Then press TAB and left arrow key to "System Information" and press ENTER. Press PAGE DOWN key and you will see the Item 2. "Memory Information", in the bottom of this item you can see "Physical memory cache status". That's the MTRR setting for your system. If you see A0000~D0000 is uncacheable, that mean that the motherboard BIOS does not have MTRR enabled and is likely the cause of the slow POST issue. "

ignatius_reilly
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:PSA: 200 series issue with some motherboards 2010/08/30 18:31:11 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'm sure that's it. If only there were a way to switch this on. I guess it'd have to be a BIOS update but I'm not holding my breath for SiS, their site looks cheap and pathetic. That's what I get for buying cheap I guess. I have an Acer pre-built, obviously an office PC, though it handled the 8600 beautifully.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile