Quadro SLI

Author
linux4ever1
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2011/06/09 13:13:44 (permalink)
Hello ppl....need help with SLI on this SR-2 board! Plzzzzzzzz

I have 2 PNY Quadro 4000 video cards that I am trying to run in SLI mode on my SR-2 board.

1.) Both Quadro 4000 cards are installed in PCI-E x16 slots.
2.) Both cards are also connected via the SLI bridge.
3.) Both cards are functioning properly. The BIOS sees 2 GPUs.
4.) I installed the latest drivers (270.76). Windows sees 2 video cards and in Nvidia control panel I see 2 GPUs.

When I "View system topology" it shows "SLI Mode: Diasbled: SLI Multi View." There is NO option for me to turn on SLI mode. I tried installing the beta drivers  still the same problem.

I have two 28" monitors and I tried different combinations with them as well (both monitors connected to one video card, one monitor connected to each video card, only one monitor connected, connected via display port or through DVI), but SLI is still disabled.

I have spent a lot of time trying to resolve this, but no luck. I scoured through many forums, but no solution. I came across one post dating all the way back to 2008 and it mentioned something about both the video cards need to be exactly identical in order for the SLI to work. So in that sense the SLI should work.

I contacted PNY technical support and I was told that this SR-2 board is GeForce SLI capable not Quadro SLI capable. The difference is in the board BIOS not the video card itself. Honestly speaking, this is the first I've heard of this. I thought SLI is SLI as long as the mobo supports SLI and the video cards support SLI it should work....this thing of GeForce SLI and Quadro SLI is new!!!

I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. Maybe someone has had similar issue and found a solution or work around.

I bought these two really expensive cards hoping to get them to work in SLI, but now hearing this.....

Thanks for helping!!!

PS. I am running the latest BIOS. A53.
post edited by linux4ever1 - 2011/06/09 13:51:59

18 Replies Related Threads

radiantdragoon87
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 314
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/09 14:10:43 (permalink)
    This may be somewhat useful, not exactly what you are having an issue with, but I tried the similiar thing and It happen to me on my E762 a few months back. Mine was a bit more out there, I was trying to get 7 Quadro cards (NVS295's) to work on the board, very similar to the SR-2. it appars that Quadro cards are not supported per my tech support conversations in that setup ( more than one 4 cards, either single or if there is a Quadro capable SLI card, no more than 4 of them) , but GeForce cards are and can go up to 7 in total, I could be mistaken but I think you will need to get GeForce cards, or a better single Quadro card if that is what you are after.

Also took a quick look at the specs of the card you have i dont see it say anywhere on there it is SLI capable?
    http://www.nvidia.com/obj...ct-quadro-4000-us.html

LINK: http://forums.evga.com...66802&high=nvs+295

Hope this helped.

Jacob

Rig specs coming soon...

Alanw
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 185
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/09 14:59:50 (permalink)
    The Quadro 4000 does not support SLI in this sense. However, both the 5000 and 6000 do.

Check the spec's very carefully and note the Quadro 4000 supports "Multi OS Technology", but it does not support "SLI Mosiac Technology"  This makes things confusing because Nvidia considers both features a form of SLI. 

It's easier to compare & contrast it to the 5000's spec's side by side. (under Specifications -> Feature Support)
    http://www.nvidia.com/obj...ct-quadro-4000-us.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/obj...ct-quadro-5000-us.html

lopium
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/09 19:29:19 (permalink)
    What is the interest of running two of these babies together?
    running a SLI of GTX or something i can totally get it, but quadro cards in SLI...  ??
    linux4ever1
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/10 07:55:24 (permalink)
    Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

@ radiantdragon87: damn man that's pretty sick....7 quadro cards!!! Had I knows you had so many I might've purchased them from you rather than forking out $1400 for 2 Quadro 4000 cards.

@ Alanw: thanks for shedding light on this. Funny how the PNY tech support bring this to my attention. They just said yes these cards are SLI capable, it's the mobo BIOS that's limiting it. It's just not supported.

So from what I now understand that these cards are not true SLI (in the sense that most of us know....2 cards combined via SLI bridge share the workload).

So with these cards I can run one app (Maya, let's say) on one card and another app (3D StudioMax) in VMWare on another cards. One question....do the cards still have to be connected via the SLI bridge for this to work?

Quadro 4000 cards can not be connected together to share the workload of a single application, but 5000 and 6000 can?

With that said, now I am thinking since both the cards can be connected via the SLI bridge what is preventing them to share the workload of a single application. Is it the Video card BIOS? Is there a work around to make them work as true SLI?

@ lopium: I wanted to build an audio/video workstation. I wanted to be able to do video editing as well as heavy 3D stuff (fluid sims) in programs like Maya, 3D Max etc. Having these in SLI would just make the work-flow a lot smoother.
    lopium
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/10 08:24:41 (permalink)
    Maya doesn't care about SLI i allready asked autodesk concerning that, i have a quadro4000 too that's why i'm asking, and don't forget that fluids effect are calculated by the cpu and not by the graphic card, at least the viewport update but the SLI configuration wont affect anything...i might be wrong but last time i asked autodesk they told me that, but maybe it changed now with maya 2012...
    Alanw
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/10 08:33:37 (permalink)
    lopium

Maya doesn't care about SLI i allready asked autodesk concerning that, i have a quadro4000 too that's why i'm asking, and don't forget that fluids effect are calculated by the cpu and not by the graphic card, at least the viewport update but the SLI configuration wont affect anything...i might be wrong but last time i asked autodesk they told me that, but maybe it changed now with maya 2012...

This is correct, and nothing has changed. To my knowledge there aren't any 3D applications that can use SLI. 

Still, it's important to distinguish the different types of usages for multiple video cards. SLI is dividing up your screen, and partitioning out pixels to be drawn by different video cards.  This isn't supported by 3D apps, but there is also CUDA and Open CL processing.  These technologies have nothing to do with drawing pixels on your screen.  They are very specialized for processing duties that fit well with parallel computational tasks.  For example, some fluid solvers are written to use CUDA, but this is only for processing the simulation, which is normally a CPU bound task.  Here's an example. http://www.foliativ.net/b...da-Fluid-Solver-Plugin

Mental Ray's iRay or VRAY RT are other cuda examples that will use as many video cards as you can fit in your machine. (as far as I know).  However, they have nothing to do with SLI.
    linux4ever1
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/10 08:37:36 (permalink)
    So, lopium, u r saying that SLI will not make any difference with respect to 3D apps? It will make a sig difference in video editing apps right?

Edit: lopium: since u have this video card as well, I'm curious what are the temps of your card? Mine for both cards are...

Idle: low 60s Celsius
    Under load: high 90s Celsius (I can make an omelet on the back plate...lol)

I'm kinda concerned about the temps. I was told by PNY technical support that these card are designed to handle 110 degree Celsius temps. I asked about installing after market coolers to reduce temps and I was told it will void warranty :(

post edited by linux4ever1 - 2011/06/10 08:46:53
    Alanw
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/10 09:01:01 (permalink)
    linux4ever1
    It will make a sig difference in video editing apps right?

The Mercury playback engine in Adobe Premier Pro has a few very specific operations that can make use of the GPU.  This has nothing to do with SLI though.

Adobe After Effects also uses the Mercury Playback engine, but it does NOT make use of the GPU for it's operations like Premier.

I also have a Quadro 4000.  It regularly gets to around 90C under very heavy load. Just make sure your fan is helping out when this happens.  I had to adjust mine to around 65% speed since Nvidia's drivers weren't helping out like they should.  I'm on Linux though.

linux4ever1
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/10 10:59:28 (permalink)
    @ Alanw: How do u manually control the speed of the fan? Is there a third party program or can this be done through the nVidia Control Panel?

I wouldn't mind running the fan at full speed all the time if it was quieter. This fan is LOUD and when I have two of these running in a machine...it is very irritating.
    Alanw
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/10 12:40:55 (permalink)
    I'm honestly not sure. I don't use windows.

In Linux I set a hidden flag in xorg.conf called "CoolBits" to the value 5.  And the Nvidia Settings panel shows the previously hidden fan control settings.

Try searching for it. It's possible this easter egg exists in windows as well. 

If you want this feature in Linux, I recommend this small python application for controlling fan speed based on GPU temperature. http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=903040
    post edited by Alanw - 2011/06/10 12:46:34
    lopium
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/10 18:45:00 (permalink)
    well i'm working under windows 7 and my temp aren't so high if i remember good, i'm not at home right now so i don't have access to this informations, we have the same cards here at school but i don't have the right for installing programs...but i'm running only one card and maybe having two of them close enough could cause these kinds of temp. maybe.
    anyway if you use maya builtin fluid effect you wont get any benefit coming from the SLI, and same thing for premiere / AE.
    the only benefit for you is running rendering engines like iray / vray RT but if you want to use this guy you should consider buying a SLI of 590 and resell your quadros...So if you don't use real time renders engine, you don't have to keep the second quadro card, or only if you want to have multiple screen for working...IMHO...
    linux4ever1
    Re:Quadro SLI 2011/06/14 13:30:37 (permalink)
    Ok, so any one still following this, I finally got the temps under control.

I bought http://www.newegg.com/Pro...9&Tpk=scythe%20vga
    it was a risk because it doesn't mention that it will fit on a Quadro 4000 card.

The Scythe VGA cooler arrived. I took apart the card Quadro 4000 card, cleaned the old thermal residue. Put new thermal paste and installed the cooler and the heat sinks on the ram chips. 

The card originally takes up 1 slot and with the after market cooler it now takes 2 slots. So the cooler only take 1 slot.

And the before and after temps are as follows (your temps may vary).

Before (fan controlled by the video card):
    Ible: low 60s celsius
    Load: low to mid 90s celsius

After (lowest fan setting):
    Idle: low to mid 50s celsius
    Load: low to mid 80s celsius

After (highest fan setting)):
    Idle: mid to high 40s celsius
    Load: low to mid 60s celsius (After 1 hour of FuMark burn test, the temps didn't go past 66 degrees)

I was hesitant to purchase this cooler but it worked out really well. It not only fit perfectly, but it reduced the temp by 30 to 40 degrees. WOW! I should also mention that the fan on this cooler at max speed seems quieter than the stock fan on Quadro card at low level.

I am very pleased with this cooler. Highly recommend it to other users of this card. It's well worth the $40+ dollars.
    MxMatrix
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Quadro SLI 2013/04/29 10:21:01 (permalink)
    linux4ever1

Ok, so any one still following this, I finally got the temps under control.

I bought
    it was a risk because it doesn't mention that it will fit on a Quadro 4000 card.

The Scythe VGA cooler arrived. I took apart the card Quadro 4000 card, cleaned the old thermal residue. Put new thermal paste and installed the cooler and the heat sinks on the ram chips. 

The card originally takes up 1 slot and with the after market cooler it now takes 2 slots. So the cooler only take 1 slot.

And the before and after temps are as follows (your temps may vary).

Before (fan controlled by the video card):
    Ible: low 60s celsius
    Load: low to mid 90s celsius

After (lowest fan setting):
    Idle: low to mid 50s celsius
    Load: low to mid 80s celsius

After (highest fan setting)):
    Idle: mid to high 40s celsius
    Load: low to mid 60s celsius (After 1 hour of FuMark burn test, the temps didn't go past 66 degrees)

I was hesitant to purchase this cooler but it worked out really well. It not only fit perfectly, but it reduced the temp by 30 to 40 degrees. WOW! I should also mention that the fan on this cooler at max speed seems quieter than the stock fan on Quadro card at low level.

I am very pleased with this cooler. Highly recommend it to other users of this card. It's well worth the $40+ dollars.

Thnx, I was searching for weeks now to find a solution to the same issue. I want to buy the same cooler, but wonder how it increases the height of the card since my case doesn't allow much extra. Do you have a picture perhaps end can you measure how high it stands from your mobo?
    post edited by MxMatrix - 2013/04/29 10:26:19

EVGA GTX 1070 ACX FTW SC / EVGA GTX 750Ti ACX FTW SC
    beaker7
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 112
    Re:Quadro SLI 2013/05/17 05:34:30 (permalink)
    No professional applications in the DCC area that I have ever heard of use SLI.  Having a second card can, in some case, help with GPU compute caluclations (see After Effects CUDA renderer) but you should not even have them connected via a SLI cable.

Maya does not use SLI, but if you for instance are running dual montors, having 2 cards (non SLI) can be helpful as you are not dividing the VRAM across two big screens.

Adobe Premiere currently only uses the display graphics, and not the extra cards, for Mercury.  That is supposed to be fixed in Premiere CC though.
    post edited by beaker7 - 2013/05/17 05:46:48

System 1:  Supermicro X9DRG-QF | 2x E5-2690v2 | 256 GB Crucial 1866Mhz ECC | 2x iofx 1.65 TB | LSI 9361-8i + 8x Seagate ST2000NM0043 | Samsung 840 Pro | 3x Quadro K6000 | Red Rocket-X | Corsair AX1200i
    System 2:  Mac Pro 2013 | E5-2690v2 | 64 GB | D700 | 1TB flash 
    System 3:  Asus Z9PE-D8-WS | 2x E5-2687W v2  | 128 GB  |  4x EVGA TITAN BLACK

Rottie2
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Quadro SLI 2013/06/03 06:30:04 (permalink)
    BUMMER: I have be planning on adding the Nvidia(PNY) K5000 and Kepler K20 to my SR-2 SolidWorks Workstation. I just did a search to find out about compatibility and BAM I see these issues.
    I am currently running one (1) old Nvidia Quadro 1700 and it works like a champ. If Nvidia SLI does not work that is one issue, but will one (1) of the Quadro K4000 or K5000 Work.
    I Really can,t say enough good things about the SR-2, I run this board 24 / 7, and no problems. But I will be reallllllllllllly be disipointed if the board will not suport the Nvidia K cards
    Need To Know!!!
    It would be NIce if EVGA will EXPLAIN OR VERIFY the issue.
    gordan79
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 531
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:Quadro SLI 2013/06/03 10:47:35 (permalink)
    linux4ever1

@ Alanw: thanks for shedding light on this. Funny how the PNY tech support bring this to my attention. They just said yes these cards are SLI capable, it's the mobo BIOS that's limiting it. It's just not supported.

So from what I now understand that these cards are not true SLI (in the sense that most of us know....2 cards combined via SLI bridge share the workload).

So with these cards I can run one app (Maya, let's say) on one card and another app (3D StudioMax) in VMWare on another cards. One question....do the cards still have to be connected via the SLI bridge for this to work?

Something doesn't sound right here. It sounds like a combination of:

1) They just re-used the GTX465 PCB hence why the SLI connector is there (quite likely)
    2) The botched the BIOS and couldn't get it to work, and never bothered fixing it (just document that it doesn't work and is thus not supported)
    3) The deliberately disabled the functionality in the driver and reserved it for the higher end models (by far the most likely option)

My guess is a combination of 1) and 3).

Supermicro X8DTH-6, 2x X5690
    Crucial 12x 8GB x4 DR 1.35V DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMMs (96GB)
    3x GTX 1080Ti
    Triple-Seat Virtualized With VGA Passthrough (KVM)
    Iceking007
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Quadro SLI 2013/10/28 15:48:48 (permalink)
    Quadro 4000 don't support SLI; I was going to buy two and use them in SLI then I found this out and purchased one PNY QUADRO 5000 instead
    pgforce
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Quadro SLI 2013/10/28 19:12:19 (permalink)
    Hey there - I built my SR-2 with video editing in mind - Adobe CS6 Suite - and I went the GTX690 route X 2 - The Quad - SLI (That's two cards - two GPUs on each card) slowed down every cuda benchmark I ran...but no SLI and my rig was singing with After Effects...I did a lot of research and found that the GTX cards were very responsive with CUDA - the only thing you may generally gain is the 10 bit depth with the right monitoring solution by going with a Quadro....the GTX also gave much better bang for buck as well as the performance...google cuda and mercury playback benchmark tests in After Effects and Premiere Pro...you ll find it all there for yourself...P.S. the Cuda in After Effects largely only benefits ray tracing as you may already know....
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile