GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Tigzxx
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2099
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 03:27:46 (permalink)
lehpron

What does this prove?  That those in the know are showing ignorance towards product placement and target audience, prefer to depend on product names for guidance because specs are overrated, or maybe they show concern for whom they respectfully refer as 'dumb people' (as if they deserve that, oh but you're trying to save them from themselves so it is okay to call them out on what we think they should know but don't)?

Such audacity .  Find a subject you're dumb in; would you volentarily inform yourself to someone else's standards (not yours, what's good enough for you isn't enough for them) just because they don't like it that you didn't buy the more expensive original that debuted years ago as opposed to a cheaper rehash of the same thing (in their view) right now?  No, this is about your uses and your budget, not their impatience that new stuff isn't appearing as often as before, so it must be your fault for buying old stuff with a new name.  Fair?  No, those spoiled morons who assume your perogatives can go to hell.

We are talking about a GT 240 here or 340 whatever you want to call it. It was Just released less than 4 month's ago. There is no expensive version. This has nothing to do with my budget, impatience, or new stuff not appearing as often. This is the new stuff Lmao. I wont even comment on the spoiled morons or going to hell rant. What it comes down to is Nvidia is targeting the uninformed Pc user with this rebranded card. Making it out to be something its not (New Tech) and that is what bothers me.

Sv1000s  V-Twin For the Win.

megalolman
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 403
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 04:08:25 (permalink)
Tigzxx 
I wont even comment on the spoiled morons or going to hell rant. What it comes down to is Nvidia is targeting the uninformed Pc user with this rebranded card. Making it out to be something its not (New Tech) and that is what bothers me.

- That is because the lower-end GPU market make more money than the high end one. Rebranding a low-middle-end card can make lots of money for a GPU company. I´m with Lehpron here, is a bussines point of view. We are enthusiasts and know what´s the power of a GT240 or GT340, is exact the same power. It can´t  hurt us. If the low-end uninformed buyer don´t want to spend time trying to learn about the product he/she is buying, is not our problem. If a friend of mine bought a "junk" piece of hardware because he/she don´t know what has bought and don´t asked me for advice, is not my problem. 

- IMHO rebranding low-middle cards is a bad practice for a GPU company. But a GPU company is a company after all, they want make big money from their customers. Rebranding cards don´t hurt me, so again i must said: Is not my problem!  
post edited by megalolman - 2010/02/17 04:12:20

Succubi-Lair(Main Rig, dual-system) :
     Processor: AMD Ryzen 3900x @ NZXT Kraken x62 Motherboard: Gigabyte Elite X570, Memory: 32GB GSkill TridentZ 3200Mhz C14, Storage: Samsung EVO 960 M.2 NVME 250GB (Windows10 PRO), 2 x Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 NVME 1TB (2TB Raid 0 array - Games), Graphics: MSI GTX1080 Ti X @ NZXT Kraken x42, Audio: ASUS Xonar DX, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Second-System (Envy, Ruoting/WIFI AP): Gigabyte GA-J1900N_D3V, 8GB SO_DIMM 1600MHZ DDR3, 120x2 SSD Raid 0, 150W picoPSU @ Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X ITX tray

chizow
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5355
  • Ribbons : 30
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 07:57:54 (permalink)
Ya I'll have to agree with Lehpron here, rebranding is nothing new and realistically, older tech is unremarkable and unspectacular to begin with.  Its just trickle down economics really, as long as you stay abreast of next generation products everything else is going to just be old hat and recycled/compressed technology of yesterday.
megalolman

- That is because the lower-end GPU market make more money than the high end one. Rebranding a low-middle-end card can make lots of money for a GPU company. I´m with Lehpron here, is a bussines point of view. We are enthusiasts and know what´s the power of a GT240 or GT340, is exact the same power. It can´t  hurt us. If the low-end uninformed buyer don´t want to spend time trying to learn about the product he/she is buying, is not our problem. If a friend of mine bought a "junk" piece of hardware because he/she don´t know what has bought and don´t asked me for advice, is not my problem. 

- IMHO rebranding low-middle cards is a bad practice for a GPU company. But a GPU company is a company after all, they want make big money from their customers. Rebranding cards don´t hurt me, so again i must said: Is not my problem!  

You're on the right track but the bolded portion is a myth and common fallacy.  High-end GPU market makes more money than low-end even with lower sales volume, its why these companies leverage 90% of their resources, R&D, and marketing muscle into the high-end because low end tripe is going to sell no matter what.  Its just filler.  While low-end revenue is high, revenue is not the same as margins or profit, as much of that revenue on low-end part is just cost of goods sold or cost of revenue, hence the low margins.  High-end parts are more expensive to build but their margins are much, much higher.  A single sale of a high-end GPU for example might generate 20x more margin/profit than a single low-end card so you would have to sell 20 GT340s to "make as much money" as a single GTX 285, for example.

Here's an example from Mercury Research from last year, keep in mind, these prices reflect a down economy where AMD and Nvidia were in the midst of a price war.  High-end GPU prices are often much higher than this......

You can see very clearly a single GTX 285 sale (~$180 margins) generates the same margins as 36 8400GS sales....

post edited by chizow - 2010/02/17 08:07:12

Intel Core i7 5930K @4.5GHz | Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5 | Win8.1 Pro x64 | Corsair H105 
2x Nvidia GeForce Titan X SLI | Asus ROG Swift 144Hz 3D Vision G-Sync LCD | 2xDell U2410 | 32GB Acer XPG DDR4 2800

Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | Samsung 840EVO 4x1TB RAID 0 | Seagate 2TB SSHD
Yamaha VSX-677 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Super Multi Blu-Ray
Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G710/G502/G27/G930 | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W 

megalolman
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 403
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 08:53:25 (permalink)
- Every day I learn some new. Thanks for the great info! I always believed that the low end market was making the most revenue to GPU sales, because they sell the low-end crads in great quantities. I never believed that the high-end margins are so big! I was wrong, thanks for the post

Succubi-Lair(Main Rig, dual-system) :
     Processor: AMD Ryzen 3900x @ NZXT Kraken x62 Motherboard: Gigabyte Elite X570, Memory: 32GB GSkill TridentZ 3200Mhz C14, Storage: Samsung EVO 960 M.2 NVME 250GB (Windows10 PRO), 2 x Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 NVME 1TB (2TB Raid 0 array - Games), Graphics: MSI GTX1080 Ti X @ NZXT Kraken x42, Audio: ASUS Xonar DX, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Second-System (Envy, Ruoting/WIFI AP): Gigabyte GA-J1900N_D3V, 8GB SO_DIMM 1600MHZ DDR3, 120x2 SSD Raid 0, 150W picoPSU @ Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X ITX tray

minger66
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1432
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 09:13:48 (permalink)
I am not sure who is the bigger fool, the person who buys a rebranded card, or the person who thinks rebranding is an honest business practice.

#1    I7 3930 @ 4.7 (1.375v), Corsair H100, Asus Sabertooth X79, GTX 780 SLI, 16gb GSkill Ripjaws 1866, Win 8.
#2    I7 920 @ 4.0, Corsair H50 cooler, Asus P6X58D Premium MB, GTX 690, 6gb GSkill 1600 ram, Win 7 64 
chizow
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5355
  • Ribbons : 30
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 09:56:46 (permalink)
megalolman

- Every day I learn some new. Thanks for the great info! I always believed that the low end market was making the most revenue to GPU sales, because they sell the low-end crads in great quantities. I never believed that the high-end margins are so big! I was wrong, thanks for the post

Bolded portion can still be correct and often is in the GPU business, but again, revenues are not the same as margins or profit.  For example, you can have a multi-billion dollar company (measured in revenue/sales) that loses money and a small company with only a few million in revenue/sales but is actually profitable.  Generally, any company would want to deal in lower volume and higher margins/profits because you don't have to work as hard to get to similar profits.  For example, would you rather run a Dollar Store or Five Below or a Porsche dealership if you could arrive at similar profits?

minger66

I am not sure who is the bigger fool, the person who buys a rebranded card, or the person who thinks rebranding is an honest business practice.

Aw, don't be so hard on yourself minger, no need to view AMD begrudgingly for selling you the equivalent of four 4870s stitched together at the seams as "new tech"....its just business, honest or not.  Don't worry though, it sounds like Northern Islands will feature actual innovations to create the "new tech" GPU Cypress might've been.

Intel Core i7 5930K @4.5GHz | Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5 | Win8.1 Pro x64 | Corsair H105 
2x Nvidia GeForce Titan X SLI | Asus ROG Swift 144Hz 3D Vision G-Sync LCD | 2xDell U2410 | 32GB Acer XPG DDR4 2800

Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | Samsung 840EVO 4x1TB RAID 0 | Seagate 2TB SSHD
Yamaha VSX-677 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Super Multi Blu-Ray
Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G710/G502/G27/G930 | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W 

luv2increase
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5279
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 09:59:59 (permalink)
minger66

+1  
It is a ploy on a flawed attribute of human nature buying habits.  These things are studied in Psychology and Marketing, and all the experts know that uninformed buyers will fall prey to it.  Just because it is common and has been going on for quite awhile does not justify it as being fair, honest and OK.   Nvidia is far from the only company that does this btw.  It is common place, and it should change.  It is a part of capitalism, unfortunately.

Rebranding is at its worse when in fact the cards are 100% identical except for the model number.  That is the worse of the worse.  This GT240 to GT340 example is pitiful and an utter shame.  It is things such as this that will cause all those buyers to LOSE RESPECT for Nvidia ---> once they realize they have been burned.  Sure, you get more sales, but you will ultimately lose more customers at the same time.  Humans don't like to be taken for a fool.

Personally, I could care less because I know better :)  I am just speaking the reality of the situation and how those people who don't know any better quickly find out that they were taken and how they are going to react to it.
post edited by luv2increase - 2010/02/17 10:03:37

HEATWARE

- Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.1Ghz 24/7
* Have x5650 Xeon 6c/12t want to install!!!

- Corsair Dominator 12GB
- EVGA x58 Classified 760
- MSI GTX 960
- MegaRAID 9260-8i Raid Card
- 4 x Samsung 850 EVO 120GB in Raid-0
- 4 x Samsung EcoGreen 1.5TB
- Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
- IKONIK Ra X10 SIM
- Pioneer BD-RW
- 46" Samsung LN46A630 1080p
- Windows 10 Professional Build 10147
slayer_27
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4982
  • Ribbons : 20
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 10:41:08 (permalink)
megalolman

- Old News, again a nVIDIA "renaming policy" . The actual equivalent is the GT240. 

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1236-LR&family=GeForce%20200%20Series%20Family

+1 with the 400s taking the new cards all the 3oos will more than likely be nothing but 200 series re-brands, of which some are already re-brands of re-brands. Aye ye ye...

CPU - i7 950 @ 4.2GHz 1.375v
MB - MSI Big Bang X-Power X58
RAM - 12GB 1600MHz G.Skill Sniper
GPU - EVGA 980 Ti 1438/3600
BOOT - Adata SX 900
SSD - 2x Samsung 850 RAID 0
PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
CASE - HAF X
Heatware
FireStrike
Register using my affiliate code: EZQYYFBL7B
lehpron
Regular Guy
  • Total Posts : 16254
  • Ribbons : 191
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 10:56:57 (permalink)
For the record, I never implied the practice was fair, honest or okay; my points were that we are defending a group that we make fun of, that buys what we wouldn't buy, that basically isn't us, etc.  This whole rebrand conspiracy isn't even our problem.  Only enthusiasts are complaining about 'rebranding', not even those these are aimed at.  Technically, it is no one's problem. 

luv2increase
Just because it is common and has been going on for quite awhile does not justify it as being fair, honest and OK.   Nvidia is far from the only company that does this btw.  It is common place, and it should change.
Why should it change?  Again, we're talking about a group of people that views informing themselves about this type of product as out of their way, only worry about their product when it breaks down, etc.  IMO, they are responsible for informing themselves, not the company that sells to them.  It is not like information is being hidden from them, since we are able to figure it out, we know where to look.  But they don't know and don't care.  

post edited by lehpron - 2010/02/17 11:02:07

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
slayer_27
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4982
  • Ribbons : 20
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 11:28:43 (permalink)
lehpron

For the record, I never implied the practice was fair, honest or okay; my points were that we are defending a group that we make fun of, that buys what we wouldn't buy, that basically isn't us, etc.  This whole rebrand conspiracy isn't even our problem.  Only enthusiasts are complaining about 'rebranding', not even those these are aimed at.  Technically, it is no one's problem. 

luv2increase
Just because it is common and has been going on for quite awhile does not justify it as being fair, honest and OK.   Nvidia is far from the only company that does this btw.  It is common place, and it should change.
Why should it change?  Again, we're talking about a group of people that views informing themselves about this type of product as out of their way, only worry about their product when it breaks down, etc.  IMO, they are responsible for informing themselves, not the company that sells to them.  It is not like information is being hidden from them, since we are able to figure it out, we know where to look.  But they don't know and don't care.  

The phrase "Ignorance is bliss" comes to mind.

+1 they do not know nor care that they are "upgrading" to the same card or worse card than what they had before. If nVidia makes money and the end user is happy who cares?

CPU - i7 950 @ 4.2GHz 1.375v
MB - MSI Big Bang X-Power X58
RAM - 12GB 1600MHz G.Skill Sniper
GPU - EVGA 980 Ti 1438/3600
BOOT - Adata SX 900
SSD - 2x Samsung 850 RAID 0
PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
CASE - HAF X
Heatware
FireStrike
Register using my affiliate code: EZQYYFBL7B
luv2increase
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5279
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 11:36:51 (permalink)
lehpron

I respect your opinion, but I feel you are gravely missing the BIG picture here.  Do you think that it is fair that banks pull ones over on their customers to dishonestly take every single cent they can possibly earn off of them?  I hope not.  Do you think it decent for used car salesmen to swindle prospective buyers?  I hope not. 

You must understand that marketing "ploys" in this day and age are becoming ever so clever in their deceptions.  Have you ever heard of Consumer Reports?  What about consumer rights?  What about fair business practices?  Sure, it isn't illegal to do what Nvidia and others are doing in the hopes of earning more money, but it leaves a sour taste in the mouths of those with hearts and a will for others to be treated "fairly".

It all boils down to realizing that it just isn't cool to take advantage of people's ignorance.  What if their IQ was inferior so they really couldn't understand even if they wanted to?  Does that make it ok?  No.

I just have a love for seeing others being treated fairly and not being ripped off.  This is evident in the great prices I recently sold a lot of computer stuff for.  Bottom line, no matter how one looks at it, it is deceptive.  Plain and simple, it is taking advantage of other people's ignorance.

HEATWARE

- Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.1Ghz 24/7
* Have x5650 Xeon 6c/12t want to install!!!

- Corsair Dominator 12GB
- EVGA x58 Classified 760
- MSI GTX 960
- MegaRAID 9260-8i Raid Card
- 4 x Samsung 850 EVO 120GB in Raid-0
- 4 x Samsung EcoGreen 1.5TB
- Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
- IKONIK Ra X10 SIM
- Pioneer BD-RW
- 46" Samsung LN46A630 1080p
- Windows 10 Professional Build 10147
lehpron
Regular Guy
  • Total Posts : 16254
  • Ribbons : 191
Re:GeForce GT 340 Did i miss somthing 2010/02/17 22:07:59 (permalink)
luv2increase
I respect your opinion, but I feel you are gravely missing the BIG picture here. 
You must understand that marketing "ploys" in this day and age are becoming ever so clever in their deceptions.  Have you ever heard of Consumer Reports?  What about consumer rights?  Plain and simple, it is taking advantage of other people's ignorance.
I understand what you mean, hence I will yeild to the general opinion that rebranding is immoral. 

But, I still place more responsibility on the one entering their payment information.  We aren't talking about the availability of non-generic medications in parts of Africa.

I have heard of consumer reports and right's, their existence are a result of enough informed people taking action against immoral business practices and keeping others in check, they are set apart from the ignorant majority, to protect them.  As a result, many more ignorant folks will inform themselves and we'll have less ignorance.  But not everyone does, and "there's a sucker born every minute."

OffTopic: I had a history teacher once that told us regarding the need to read the text prior to each class meeting, "if you talk about something you don't know, that's it naive; if you know you're naive, that's ignorant; if you know you're ignorant, that's stupid."  I suppose to call the group an "ignorant majority" should be split into a large helping of quiet naive and loud minority of truly ignorant -- these are the ones we battle with as examples of stupidity in our view, I think.
post edited by lehpron - 2010/02/17 22:29:23

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile