Author
chizow
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5355
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 30
2010/01/31 22:52:08 (permalink)

Intro

Mass Effect 2 is a truly epic gaming experience that every PC gamer should embark upon at some point, however, in order to get the most out of the PC version of the game and your hardware, some additional tweaks may be required.  I just wanted to put them all in one place to make it easier to read and access.  Most of these steps are just from previous experience with games that use the Unreal Engine 3 along with some trial and error.

Here's an overview of the sections to help you navigate quickly:
  • I. Skip the Intro Splash Movies
  • II. UE3 INI Tweaking
  • III.  Forcing AA and SLI on Nvidia Hardware
  • IV. nHancer Tips and Troubleshooting
  • V. Comparative Pictures

I. Skip the Intro Splash Movies

Navigate to %:\Mass Effect 2\BioGame\Movies and locate the two following:
  • ME_EAsig_720p_v2_raw.bik
  • BWLogo.bik
Rename the files to whatever you like, I simply changed .bik to .bak for both.

II. UE3 INI Tweaking

For those who are familiar with UE3 games, you're probably familiar with the previous system that would typically have a [gamename]Engine.ini file with numerous settings that could be changed located somewhere in %:\Users\%\Documents folder.  ME2 still uses this system but exposes much fewer options in the GamerSettings.ini located at %:\Users\%\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\BIOGame\Config. 

This file serves as an override and will take precedence over the default settings found in DefaultEngine.ini, or in the case of ME2, Coalesced.ini.  Instead of placing most of these override settings directly into the User\Documents file, they put them into Coalesced.ini and as the name implies, smushed them all together so its very difficult to navigate or make any sense of.  No problem, just use the same settings you've grown accustomed to in the past from UE3 games to tweak the settings you want to and put them into your GamerSettings.ini file.  You don't want to mess with Coalesced.ini or DefaultEngine.ini as the game may not launch if you alter these or may make your game unplayable if you mess with a setting you shouldn't have.

Here's a list of the ones I've changed and why:

• DepthOfField=False  Not only does this take away the blurry foreground/background blurring, it also significantly decreases the dark shadows/lighting.
  • UseVsync=False  Some may prefer Vsync On, but this will allow you to turn off Vsync if only to verify performance/SLI scaling.
  • bSmoothFrameRate=False  Similar to turning off Vsync, the UE3 additionally uses frame rate smoothing which acts as an FPS cap (62 FPS)
  • MinSmoothedFrameRate=22.000000
  • MaxSmoothedFrameRate=200.000000  You also need to change this setting, as its set to a 62 FPS cap by default
How my GamerSettings.ini file looks, notice it doesn't really matter that everything is under [SystemSettings] header instead of [Engine.GameEngine] as its commented out anyways.  You should be able to add other settings from other UE3 game engine.ini although it may not have any effect, or may even have negative effects.  Just delete GamerSettings.ini if that happens and the launcher will create a new one. 

I haven't really gotten around to messing with any other settings, in the past with UE3 games I've had to go in and mess with the sound settings to get EAX/7.1 to stick but no need this time around.  Also no need to mess with the shadow resolution this time around as they're much better than ME1, but some people may want to try and tweak them to see if they can't improve performance or visuals.

III.  Forcing AA and SLI on Nvidia hardware

A few ways to go about this, but UE3 is notorious for having compatibility issues with AA and/or SLI due to its use of deferred rendering.  Both Nvidia and ATI have developed driver workarounds to be able to handle both AA and HDR under DX9, however, they need to specifically enable compatibility flags in their drivers or the settings in the NVCP or CCC will not know how to handle and apply AA/SLI for UE3 titles.

For Nvidia users there's numerous options to get AA and SLI working properly:
I personally prefer nHancer as it allows you to manually flag the proper compatibility bits for both AA and SLI even if the latest Nvidia or EVGA profiles aren't properly updated.  This means you're never really at the mercy of any particular IHV or ISV to fix their driver or games, if you know the engine used and AA or SLI was supported before, there's a very good chance you'll be able to force AA or SLI with a few checkbox clicks.

You can force AA in ME2 with either of the following compatibility flags:
  • 080100C5: Unreal Tournament 3
  • 00000045: AA & HDR  
You should be able to force SLI with AFR-4W [0x02402005]

The latest Nvidia SLI Patch has both of these flags in Mass Effect 2's game profile, so they shouldn't need to be changed manually after 196.34.  If you use a driver prior to 196.3X you will still need to manually create and flag these bits if you want AA and SLI compatibility for Mass Effect 2.

IV. nHancer Tips and Troubleshooting

Setting up and navigating nHancer is pretty straightforward, its very similar to the NVCP, just laid out in a better format, imo.  It simply exposes the settings and features already included in Nvidia's driver and NVapps.xml and co-exists with NVCP in a safe manner.

Typically, here's the steps I take when I get a new game that doesn't support AA natively, or doesn't seem to benefit from SLI:
  • Step 1 - Check the default driver profile flags, if you know what engine the game uses and the flags look like generic flags or don't match the flags you're expecting, that's most likely why SLI or AA isn't working.  Look up some similar games where you know for a fact SLI or AA is working and look to apply them for this game.  In this case, I can just look at ME1 and see that the original ME2 flags weren't correct, so I used ME1 flags I know were working properly as a starting point.
  • Step 2 - Set the proper compatibility flags you identified in Step 1.  If you're not comfortable yet with the various game engines and don't want to try trial and error, just google your game title + AA or SLI + nhancer compatibility and you should get some hits with the proper flag identified. 
  • Step 3 - If you have all the flags set and AA or SLI still doesn't seem to be taking, make sure the game profile is pointing to the proper game.exe file.  You can manually add additional .exe or launcher files as needed. 
Once you've got the proper bits flagged, it should be very easy to make sure AA and SLI are working in-game. 

For AA, just look at the jaggies on geometry edges, you should see noticeably decreased jaggies and edge shimmering when moving around even with 4xMSAA at the cost of 30-50% FPS.  Enabling Transparency SuperSampling AA will help with foliage, hair, gratings, handrails etc, although performance can drop considerably depending on how many transparencies/billboards are in a scene.  The most expensive form of AA and true full-scene anti-aliasing with SuperSampling AA will not only smooth edges on geometry, but also improve IQ on all finely-patterned textures, shaders, decals etc. as the game engine is simply rendering the scene at a higher resolution and then downsampling to your target resolution. 

Besides the dramatic in-game IQ differences, you should be able to verify AA is working by using Precision's ability to monitor VRAM usage.  The amount of VRAM will scale as you increase AA, for example at 1920x1200 with no AA ME2 uses ~300MB, 600MB with 4xMSAA, 700MB with 8xCSAA, and a whopping 900MB with 8xSQ (2x2 SSAA + 2xMSAA).  Make sure you close out anything that uses VRAM when gaming....for example, preparing this write-up, I had 6x Photo Gallery Viewers open and even running 8xCSAA I noticed a big drop in FPS simply because VRAM usage had pushed into the 800MB range due to all the photos open.

For SLI, make sure you have Vsync disabled and FPS smoothing off, set max to something higher than 62, like 200.  Also helps to enable SLI 3D Visualization from the NVCP, the more solid the green bar, the more efficiently the GPUs in SLI are being used.  You can also use Precision's new features of GPU % monitoring to see how much of each GPU is being utilized.

V. Comparative Pictures

Depth of Field On - notice both Shephard and background characters are very dark to the point you can't see any detail on their bodies.  Lighting overall is also much darker.

Depth of Field Off - much more detail visible, shadows aren't as dark.

Depth of Field On - background and foreground images are blurred as camera focus is on the speaker.  More cinematic but overly dark.

Depth of Field Off - both background and foreground images are much better focused, less cinematic but more detail visible. 

Might be a bug with Depth of Field and lighting effects, as Depth of Field shouldn't dramatically impact lighting so much.....may be worth keeping an eye on this in future patches as the dark shadows have been a noticeable complaint by many.  Turning Depth of Field off solves this problem but at the expense of a more cinematic feel to cut-scenes.

No AA - Notice the jaggies just about everywhere, much more noticeable when playing as the entire scene will seem as if its "crawling".

4xMSAA - Jaggies on geometry (tables, weapons, individual solid colored pipes) significantly reduced.  The group of pipes in the right background still noticeably jaggy due to shader aliasing.  Textures with inlaid patterns also still show aliasing.  Running around the normandy you'll still see these embedded patterns on walls shimmer as you walk by.

8xSQ - Remaining scene elements noticeably less aliased, that problematic group of pipes in the back right corner are noticeably less jaggy.  Again, this will be much more noticeable in actual gameplay, however, 2x2 SSAA isn't playable at 1920x1200 with a single GTX 280, you'll most likely need SLI or GF100 to play at these settings. 

I'll see if I can find some other areas that help illustrate the differences a bit better, I do remember quite a few landing missions that did a much better job of illustrating the differences with Transparency AA with foliage and/or floor gratings etc.  I'll keep adding tweaks and tips, let me know if you have any issues you'd like to see addressed or if you have a suggestion for a good tweak.  My personal favorites are AA and turning Depth of Field Off as they'll make your game look much better without sacrificing too much performance.  Hope this helps you focus on this excellent game instead of fretting too much about getting enhancements or features working!
post edited by chizow - 2010/02/04 17:49:30

Intel Core i7 5930K @4.5GHz | Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5 | Win8.1 Pro x64 | Corsair H105 
2x Nvidia GeForce Titan X SLI | Asus ROG Swift 144Hz 3D Vision G-Sync LCD | 2xDell U2410 | 32GB Acer XPG DDR4 2800

Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | Samsung 840EVO 4x1TB RAID 0 | Seagate 2TB SSHD
Yamaha VSX-677 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Super Multi Blu-Ray
Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G710/G502/G27/G930 | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W 

26 Replies Related Threads

chizow
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/01/31 23:04:20 (permalink)
    So here's a list of basic gameplay tips that may make the game more enjoyable, and less frustrating along the way.  I tried not to include any real spoilers so it should be safe to read for anyone who hasn't completed the game yet.  Its more a list of what you can expect so you're not constantly wondering while playing through the game. 

1. Crew Upgrades - Talk to all of your crew members and look for chances to upgrade, you don't need any kind of loyalty/dialogue progression, they should be available right away from the Investigate > [UPGRADE] or [NORMANDY UPGRADE].  You don't need to upgrade them right away, they'll stay as options at your Research Center, and some are better to do early on as they will make it easier to "farm" more resources for other upgrades.

2. Weapon Upgrades - ME2 changes the way weapon and armor upgrades, ammo, and enhancements work considerably.  For better or worst compared to ME1, depends from person to person I'd say.  There's basically 3 tiers of weapons, Basic > Intermediate > Special.  You find these in missions, they're scarce and Special upgrades may be "unique" in the sense you can't get more than 1 per playthru.  Don't expect to find a lot of weapons in crates or at vendors, they've all basically been condensed into +% damage items, which open chances to research further enhancements on the Normandy.  Destroying all the Italian "Fragi-le" crates is just a waste of ammo from what I've seen, and ammo can be annoyingly scarce. 

3. Armor Upgrades - besides the researchable armor upgrades, there's modular armor pieces you can buy from certain vendors.  Basically, they map minor mods to different pieces of your armor, which you can then choose in your Captain's quarters.  Unfortunately, these mods do not work with any of the DLC armors (may work with Cerberus armor, if they ever release it).

4. Mining Resources - OK, so this is a mini-game that helps you get more upgrades for weapons/armor and even the Normandy.  Some people might find this fun and I've read a lot of comments from people who really like this.  Maybe if you like long walks on the beach with a metal detector, idk, I found it mostly tedious after the first few trips.  But basically, they've replaced the whole Mako land rover method of discovery with a sensor that you need to use to canvas a planet for valuable resources needed for upgrades.  Once you've researched everything you want, there's no point in mining anymore as you can't sell the resources for credits afaik.
    • Make sure to get the upgrades that help with mining early.  There's an upgrade that improves the speed and sensitivity of your scanner, meaning you can move it faster and it will detect node spikes at those faster speeds.  There's an upgrade for 2x scanner probes.  There's an upgrade for 50% more fuel.  The last two will let you go further from the Mass Relay systems and stay out longer before having to refuel.  If you run out of fuel outside of a Mass Relay system, the penalty is ~2000 in any resource (maybe your most plentiful?) which is burned up getting you back to the Mass Relay system.
    • Planets range from Rich > Good > Moderate > Poor > Depleted.  If I had to guess, the way this works is based on # of node spikes, when I mean spikes, I mean ~1500+ gained on a probe or 6+ bars on the scanner graph.  Using that scale, I'd say Rich=12+, Good = 9-12, Moderate = 6-8, Poor = 3-5, Depleted = 0-2.  That's based mainly on starting on a Rich planet and watching the levels change and counting how many sensors I used total.  A rich planet will typically use up 15-20 sensors before its completely depleted of spike nodes.
    • Early on, you may just want to completely deplete planets since you'll pretty much need every resource.  Later on, if you're looking for a specific resource, its best to move on if you're not getting the resource you need.  Some planets will have mostly 1 type of resource.  I found the rarest resources to be Element Zero and Platinum.  Element Zero isn't too big of an issue though as upgrades don't really use a lot of it and you find a good bit during missions.  Platinum can be a pain, but there are quite a few specific planets that have a lot of it.  If you find a planet that has a lot of what you're looking for, you'll probably want to scan every grid to hit every node.
    • Small planets tend to be "Rich" and large gas giants tend to be much lower in resources, going with the whole Mass Effect theme.  Look for small planets hidden in asteroid field orbits.  The % for any solar system will reflect any non-standard orbit planets or spacecraft, so if there's 5 planets/ships in a system, you'll know you missed one if its only showing 80%.  There may be some correlation between planet color or grid color and resources, but I did not bother to investigate this.
    • Mining is pretty tedious as the cursor is much less responsive than usual; adjusting mouse acceleration won't help this, as its limited artificially as a game balance measure.  My system was pretty simple, I just started on a single latitude band and move the scanner as far to the right as possible.  This made the planet spin as fast as the game allows on its axis, allowing 100% coverage while maintaining good speed.  From a physical standpoint, you just need to move the mouse right slightly, keeping the same X plane, and lift and reset.  Its pretty much impossible to do this vertically using longitude.  Then I use launched probe markers to signifiy whether I covered a latitudinal band completely.  Some may find using circular patterns or whatever is less tedious but I found it to be much less comprehensive and also found I spent much more time going back to try and find the "spike".
    5. Captain's Quarters - Besides being able to change your armor pieces and color scheme, you can buy stuff at shops to customize your room.  That's what the various model ships and other trinkets are for.  Some funny ones in there...BG fans will enjoy I'm sure!  Also....your fish can die if you forget to feed them.  Keep that in mind if you buy them before a certain point.

6. Game Saves - If you're like me and like to save often before every big anticipated plot twist or dialogue choice....you're going to be disappointed to know the default # of max saves is only 50 saves + 2 for Quick Save and Auto Save.  The most annoying part however, is the in-game save will always point to the last save, so if you get to save 50, it will always highlight save 50, so you have to manually scroll down to save 1 to overwrite that save etc.  The easiest way to workaround this is to just cut and paste earlier saves and move them to a different folder.  Not only does this keep your older saves intact, but it will also make it so your saves will automatically add on to the end, keeping the enumeration intact too. 

7. Weapon Switching - So the way they implemented this sucks if you have more than 2 weapons.  The problem is using the mouse wheel to go through weapons, you have to wait until the weapon switch animation finishes before the next wheel switch command takes hold.  So two quick clicks won't advance 2 weapons, as the 2nd click doesn't register until the animation finishes.  Really a poor implementation and unacceptable for any game that claims to be a shooter.  If your class can use more than 2 weapons, but you only really use 2 weapons, the best way is to just use the Shift to bring up the overlay, pick your weapon you want to switch to, then use X to switch quickly between the two weapons.  I basically only used Assault Rifle + Sniper Rifle even though I was a Soldier, so it was beyond annoying that Shotgun was between them when using the mouse wheel.

8.  Hacking/Bypass - These are the mini-games to hack doors and containers.  Not bad, I never really got bored with these.  There's a few upgrades that double the amount of time given for these available at vendors.  I only got the one for Hacking, as Bypass was never really difficult.  A Quick Save before doing any of these is a good idea, as after the first few, they only give you 1 shot at them and some give you either 1) 2nd tier weapon upgrades or 2) weapon/tech bonus upgrades.

That's pretty much it, if I remember anything else I found annoying/helpful I'll try and update.

post edited by chizow - 2010/02/03 19:53:44

Intel Core i7 5930K @4.5GHz | Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5 | Win8.1 Pro x64 | Corsair H105 
    2x Nvidia GeForce Titan X SLI | Asus ROG Swift 144Hz 3D Vision G-Sync LCD | 2xDell U2410 | 32GB Acer XPG DDR4 2800

Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G710/G502/G27/G930 | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W 

Blizzie
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5462
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/01 08:57:02 (permalink)
    Very nice.

EnSabanNur
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3390
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/01 10:03:38 (permalink)
    BR worthy on that man, nice one chi. don't need it myself as it's running like a god dam dream but an informative read non the less.

cheers buddy ;)

IMO, best game ****ing EVER, 14 hours in and I've got such a raving e-boner for this game it's unreal. :D

No longer an active member of the EVGA forums.
    _Nite_
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 19175
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/01 15:59:37 (permalink)
    Nice Guide thanks, I already had the AA taken care of with Nhancer, but the INI tips are useful.

I would leave Depth of Field on though cause it makes the Lighting and Color look better. If you need more brightness you can adjust it in the game options. By default its set to 0 and its still bright enough on my 21.5" Asus LCD.
    post edited by _Nite_ - 2010/02/01 16:44:57

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

chizow
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/01 16:24:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the BR and endorsements!  

@patrick1game: Yep I agree about the .ini file change, I preferred it when they just had 1 user override file with all the configurable options in one place.  I noticed similar with Batman Arkham Asylum which helped me figure out this workaround along with some posts on Bioware's forums.  With Batman you have UserEngine.ini AND BmGame.ini both in the users folder, however, UserEngine.ini changes each time you run the launcher resets BmGame.ini and when you change it, only the settings in UserEngine.ini stick.  Progression looks like this:
    • Run Launcher > Reset BmGame.ini to DefaultEngine.ini > Write launcher settings to UserEngine.ini > UserEngine.ini settings override and write to BmGame.ini > Game launches and reads BmGame.ini for engine settings.
    So to me, the solution was simple, put the changes you wanted in UserEngine.ini so it wrote the changes to BmGame.ini.  The same works for ME2 except Coalesced.ini is what people were using as a guide instead of BmGame.ini, but messing up the hashes in the Coalesced.ini can prevent the game from running.

The Depth of Field fix I picked up on Bioware's forums.  I prefer DoF off overall although I agree its much better implemented than ME1 and especially DA.  Besides making everything overly dark with DoF on, its really, really annoying when sniping, which I really enjoy in both ME1 and ME2.  It works as it should.....but having to target fuzzy out of focus targets is a bit too realistic.  Personally, I would like an option for DoF to only be active during cut-scenes or dialogue.  Off otherwise. 

Homeless2
    • Total Posts : 66
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/02 05:22:24 (permalink)
    I wished I found this post before I beat the game.  Great post though!
    marundo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 518
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/02 05:47:24 (permalink)
    Still waiting to play the game... It's just sitting on my coffie table waiting to be installed. I was able to play a little ME1 (very little) to get my save file strait so I can move on...

But working 12 hours day after 12 hour day is cutting into my time to finish it.

But I will mess with this stuff when I get to it, thanks!
    chizow
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/03 19:02:27 (permalink)
    Homeless2

I wished I found this post before I beat the game.  Great post though!

Haha ya I waited to beat the game before I stopped to write this, was a good distraction while watching the fail Pro Bowl.

chizow
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/03 19:54:36 (permalink)
    Updated 2nd post with some basic gameplay tips, no spoilers.

http://forums.evga.com/fb.ashx?m=153814

jaafaman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2188
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/04 00:49:29 (permalink)
    Excellent work - thanks for sharing. I've not been gaming but since the intro of the G80, and I'm still learning. This gives me a better insight into UE3.

And you write so well...

chizow
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/04 17:46:39 (permalink)
    jaafaman

Excellent work - thanks for sharing. I've not been gaming but since the intro of the G80, and I'm still learning. This gives me a better insight into UE3.

And you write so well...

Thanks for the compliment and glad you found it informative!  There's a lot more UE3 tweaks out there but the launcher takes care of the more significant ones.  Some of the other ini changes out there, like shadows or texture resolutions don't have that much of an impact in ME2.  If you want a really comprehensive source for older UE3 and a few other popular game tweaks, you can check out: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Unfortunately Karoush doesn't update anymore, good dude and he writes exceptionally well.

Also updated OP as Nvidia has also released an SLI patch update that enables both SLI and AA compatibility flags:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_multigpu_SLI_profile_update_v4.html

I've already checked the XML flags, its the same ones I listed earlier.  This should be carried over to the next driver, so changing bit flags in nHancer probably won't be necessary with the next driver release.
    post edited by chizow - 2010/02/04 17:50:52

stephen92
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4104
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/04 17:52:28 (permalink)
    I would like to add that changing mouse DPI works for the mining mini-game.  Good guide though.

CPU:Q6600 @ 3.15Ghz Coolermaster V6
    GPU: EVGA 560 Ti
    RAM: 4GB G.Skill PI Black
    Mobo: EVGA 680i LT SLI
    HD: 1TB WD Caviar Black, 150Gb WD Velociraptor Win 7 Professional 64, 2x1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1
    Case: HAF-X
    PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W
    chizow
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/04 18:14:19 (permalink)
    drdoomuzi4u

I would like to add that changing mouse DPI works for the mining mini-game.  Good guide though.

Ah cool, I'll have to check that out.  I had DPI maxed out at first but it was way too sensitive in-game, so I lowered DPI and increased mouse acceleration to compensate.  Don't get as much movement noise that way.

_Nite_
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/04 19:10:08 (permalink)
    I want to add that the scanner isn't very accurate when it says depleted, its not just 0-2, I've come across various planets where I still find high activity when it says that, so its a good idea to do one last sweep of them to be sure.

here is a few screen examples.

post edited by _Nite_ - 2010/02/04 19:20:49

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

EnSabanNur
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3390
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/05 11:13:25 (permalink)
    my buddy lee also say's thanks for the hardwork chi, he's used the guide and almost wet himself at the results. ;)

No longer an active member of the EVGA forums.
    chizow
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/06 15:14:10 (permalink)
    _Nite_

I want to add that the scanner isn't very accurate when it says depleted, its not just 0-2, I've come across various planets where I still find high activity when it says that, so its a good idea to do one last sweep of them to be sure.

Ya its not exact, but usually when it hits Depleted you can expect only a few more spikes, 2-3 max.  If its a planet rich in Platinum or Eezo I'll usually look for those last few nodes since I cover every grid with a lateral sweep, otherwise I'll just move on. 

ensabannur

my buddy lee also say's thanks for the hardwork chi, he's used the guide and almost wet himself at the results. ;)

Glad he found it helpful, I didn't get into any spoilers or extensive gameplay tips to keep it safe for people who haven't played it yet.  I haven't really gone and tested other INI tweaks either, but for the most part there's no need for me as the game looks about as good as it gets for UE3. 

Deathstroke44
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 305
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/08 12:49:19 (permalink)
    _Nite_

here is a few screen examples.

Lol i just use cheat engine to get the resources i need though i do still scan planets for anomalies, and some times to get resources just for fun XD,

Affiliate code: MLVU5H1636

Heatware
    https://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=96416
    chizow
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/08 17:41:58 (permalink)
    I just made note of the planets with lots of Eezo or Platinum for future playthroughs....cheating in games doesn't make any sense to me.  If I just wanted the instant gratification I could just watch walkthroughs on Youtube or similar.

_Nite_
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/08 17:55:32 (permalink)
    ^^ agreed, cheating ruins the fun and can make it really boring quickly

chizow
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/10 18:09:02 (permalink)
    The Fight for the Lost DLC is finally over.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/info/cerberus/?sourceid=eag1452

Bioware finally released the Cerberus Assault Armor and M22 Shotgun.  Disappointed that the armor isn't modular and customizable like the N7 armor. The Cerberus armor is like all the other DLC armors with static bonuses and color scheme. Oh well, haven't tried the shotgun out, the two non-Krogan shotguns were pretty gimp so hopefully this one is better.  People on the BW forums seem pretty happy with it though.

slayer_27
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4982
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/11 19:15:37 (permalink)
    Wow. Thanks. The 8SQ really makes the game look amazing. Still unable to tell a difference b/w no AF and 16xAF w/o staring at screen shots, why I never use it.

Got the new DLC and started a new game cause mine corrupted...Still wonder when the lvl 30 achievement will actually work...

CPU - i7 950 @ 4.2GHz 1.375v
    MB - MSI Big Bang X-Power X58
    RAM - 12GB 1600MHz G.Skill Sniper
    GPU - EVGA 980 Ti 1438/3600
    BOOT - Adata SX 900
    SSD - 2x Samsung 850 RAID 0
    PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
    CASE - HAF X
    Heatware
    FireStrike
    Register using my affiliate code: EZQYYFBL7B
    thor88
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 865
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/11 20:28:22 (permalink)
    nice! this was super helpful.

DUEL- A prearranged, formal combat between two persons, usually fought to settle a point of honor.
    DUAL- composed or consisting of two people, items, parts, etc.

dmoheban
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1506
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/15 20:26:19 (permalink)
    I tried to adjust the coelsced.ini file and now it doesn't start up anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

Associate Code: K8XL098LGS5O4WZ
    dmoheban
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1506
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/15 21:33:58 (permalink)
    Reinstalled it and its working now... pain..

Associate Code: K8XL098LGS5O4WZ
    slayer_27
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4982
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/15 21:57:15 (permalink)
    dmoheban

I tried to adjust the coelsced.ini file and now it doesn't start up anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

Always keep a backup when doing things like that. The install takes way too long to risk not doing so.

CPU - i7 950 @ 4.2GHz 1.375v
    MB - MSI Big Bang X-Power X58
    RAM - 12GB 1600MHz G.Skill Sniper
    GPU - EVGA 980 Ti 1438/3600
    BOOT - Adata SX 900
    SSD - 2x Samsung 850 RAID 0
    PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
    CASE - HAF X
    Heatware
    FireStrike
    Register using my affiliate code: EZQYYFBL7B
    manny8127
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 445
    Re:Mass Effect 2 - Performance and Settings Guide 2010/02/16 13:39:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for this guide it's very useful.

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.0 GHZ
    Evga z170 FTW
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDr4 3200
    Evga Gtx 1070 FE
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile