Check the status of your EVGA Product
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 BIOS Update
- Updated fan curve for reduced PWM temperature
- Q. Do I need to reapply this update every time I update a driver or reinstall the O.S.?
- A. This update is attached to the card, no matter where it goes. If you update the driver, the EVGA BIOS update is still applied.
- Q. How can I tell what version I firmware I currently have?
- A. There are multiple ways to do this, one way is to right click on desktop and go to NVIDIA control panel. Click on Help, then System Information. Scroll to the bottom of the Details window and it will show your "Video BIOS version".
- Q. I just bought my card, will it have this updated firmware?
- A. Chances are yes, as new firmware is released, new products shipping from EVGA will also have this firmware version applied.
Windows (64bit) Installation
- Download the correct .zip file below for your graphics card below. ENSURE THE PART NUMBER MATCHES.
- Extract the files to a location on disk.
- Make sure no programs are running in the background, and double click update.exe.
- Press "Y" to begin the update.
- DO NOT TURN OFF POWER OR RESET DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS!
- After update, restart PC.
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (For Dual BIOS cards, card must be set to BIOS that is being flashed):
- 08G-P4-6181-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.04.3b.00.82) | Original BIOS
- 08G-P4-6183-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.04.3b.00.82) | Original BIOS
- 08G-P4-6284-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.04.3b.00.74) | Secondary BIOS (86.04.3b.01.84) | Original Primary BIOS | Original Secondary BIOS
- 08G-P4-6286-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.04.3b.00.84) | Secondary BIOS (86.04.3b.01.82) | Original Primary BIOS | Original Secondary BIOS
- 08G-P4-6384-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 CLASSIFIED DT ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.04.3b.00.82) | Secondary BIOS (86.04.3b.01.82) | Original Primary BIOS | Original Secondary BIOS
- 08G-P4-6386-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 CLASSIFIED ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.04.3b.00.82) | Secondary BIOS (86.04.3b.01.82) | Original Primary BIOS | Original Secondary BIOS
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 (For Dual BIOS cards, card must be set to BIOS that is being flashed):
- 08G-P4-5171-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 Black Edition - Primary BIOS (86.04.50.00.72) | Original BIOS
- 08G-P4-5173-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 Black Edition - Primary BIOS (86.04.50.00.72) | Original BIOS
- 08G-P4-6171-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.04.50.00.72) | Original BIOS
- 08G-P4-6173-KR/KB - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.04.50.00.72) | Original BIOS
- 08G-P4-6274-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW DT ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.04.50.00.72) | Secondary BIOS (86.04.50.01.72) | Original Primary BIOS | Original Secondary BIOS
- 08G-P4-6276-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.04.50.00.72) | Secondary BIOS (86.04.50.01.72) | Original Primary BIOS | Original Secondary BIOS
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6G:
- 06G-P4-6163-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC - Primary BIOS (86.06.39.00.62) | Original BIOS
- 06G-P4-6265-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC DT - Primary BIOS (86.06.39.00.62) | Original BIOS
- 06G-P4-6267-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.06.39.00.62) | Original BIOS
- 06G-P4-6264-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.06.39.00.62) | Original BIOS
- 06G-P4-6262-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 ACX 3.0 - Primary BIOS (86.06.39.00.62) | Original BIOS
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3G:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update
Recently, it was reported from several sources, that the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW PWM and memory temperature is running warmer than expected during Furmark (an extreme stress utility).
EVGA has investigated these reports and after extensive testing, below are our findings:
- On ACX 3.0, EVGA focused on GPU temperature and the lowest acoustic levels possible. Running Furmark, the GPU is around 70C +/- and the fan speed is running approximately 30% duty cycle or lower.
- However, during recent testing, the thermal temperature of the PWM and memory, in extreme circumstances, was marginally within spec and needed to be addressed.
Conclusion: EVGA offers full warranty support on its products, with cross-ship RMA*, and stands behind its products and commitment to our customers.
To resolve this, EVGA will be offering a VBIOS update, which adjusts the fan-speed curve to ensure sufficient cooling of all components across all operating temperatures. This VBIOS will be released in the next few days and users can download it and update their cards directly. This update resolves the potential thermal issues that have been reported, and ensures the card maintains safe operating temperatures.
For those users who want additional cooling beyond the VBIOS update, EVGA has optional thermal pads available. This update is not required, however; EVGA will make it available free of charge to any customer who is interested. To request the thermal pad kit, please visit www.evga.com/thermalmod.
Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.
All graphics cards shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 will have the VBIOS update applied.
* The EVGA EAR(Advanced RMA Program) and Cross Shipping options are available in the Continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, EU, UK, Norway, and Switzerland. EVGA offers Standard RMA replacement options in the Middle East, Africa, India, Latin America, Mexico, or outside of the before mentioned supported EAR areas.
- Q. Which cards are supported by these updates?
A. EVGA ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 or 1060 cards with the following part numbers:
GTX 1080 GTX 1070 GTX 1060 6G GTX 1060 3G 08G-P4-6181 08G-P4-5171 06G-P4-6262 03G-P4-6365 08G-P4-6183 08G-P4-5173 06G-P4-6265 03G-P4-6167 08G-P4-6284 08G-P4-6171 06G-P4-6264 03G-P4-6165 08G-P4-6286 08G-P4-6173 06G-P4-6267 08G-P4-6384 08G-P4-6274 08G-P4-6386 08G-P4-6276
* Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER cards do not need these updates.
- Q. If my Graphics Card is not an ACX 3.0 design is it affected?
- A. No, all other GPUs sold by EVGA including Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER editions are unaffected.
- Q. Does the VBIOS fix the temperature issues?
- A. Yes, the VBIOS update will fix the temperature issues.
- Q. Is my card damaged from running at a higher temperature?
- A. No, but should any future warranty service be needed, EVGA stands behind its products.
- Q. What happens if my card is accidentally damaged during the optional thermal pad installation?
- A. EVGA will stand behind its customers with full warranty and cross-shipment.
- Q. What if I am not comfortable updating my VBIOS?
- A. While EVGA has very user friendly ways to update VBIOS's, if you still do not feel comfortable, we will support you with and advanced RMA and ship you a replacement card with the latest VBIOS.
EVGA Top Management
Optional EVGA Thermal Pad Mod Request
The test used in the referenced review from Toms Hardware (Germany) is running under Furmark, an extreme usage case, as most overclockers know. We believe this is a good approach to have some idea about the graphics card limit, and the thermal performance under the worst case scenario. EVGA has performed a similar qualification test during the design process, at a higher ambient temperature (30C in chamber) with a thermal coupler probe directly contacting the key components and after the Toms Hardware (Germany) review, we have retested this again. The results in both tests show the temperature of PWM and memory is within the spec tolerance under the same stress test, and is working as originally designed with no issues.
With this being said, EVGA understands that lower temperatures are preferred by reviewers and customers.
During our recent testing, we have applied additional thermal pads between the backplate and the PCB and between the baseplate and the heatsink fins, with the results shown below. We will offer these optional thermal pads free of charge to EVGA owners who want to have a lower temperature. These thermal pads will be ready soon; and customers can request them starting Monday, October 24th, 2016. Also, we will work with Toms Hardware to do a retest.
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW running Furmark with optional thermal pad mod (30°C Ambient in Chamber)
– October 21st, 2016