How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game

FTW Member
2010/12/10 21:52:01
A guy came in the chat earlier asking about how to show your cpu temp while in game. Which prompted me to write this tutorial on how to achieve this. There may be other methods and programs. Maybe even better methods. While Rivatuner will show you CPU usage and load as far as I know it doesn't by itself show cpu temp. So lets get down to the nitty gritty.

Required
Download Rivatuner: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163
Download RealTemp plugin: http://downloads.guru3d.com/RealTemp-plugin-for-RivaTuner_d2169.html

1: Install Rivatuner.
2: Copy the files (RTCore.cfg,RTCore.dll,RTCore.rth) from the RealTemp download to your RivaTuner v2.24 MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2009 edition\PlugIns\Monitoring folder. (If you downloaded and installed the Rivatuner above).

Instead of typing out the rest of the steps simply watch the video below I recorded to make it easier.
Also watch it in HD and full screen. So you can see the text and options I set.

Hope it works for you!

post edited by fattysc - 2010/12/10 22:05:34
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2010/12/10 22:01:22
Good work man!
owcraftsman
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2010/12/11 12:20:29
It should be noted the Riva Tuner is already running in your system tray if you use EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner and setup will be different. With either installed you will not be able to install RIVA the 1st app linked in the OP and I believe the files RTCore.cfg, RTCore.dll, RTCore.rth  are included with the EVGA & MSI apps correct me if I'm wrong. I use my G15 display personally but this is a nice toot for those that don't have one. Good job and thanks for sharing this fattysc!

post edited by owcraftsman - 2010/12/11 13:07:19
fattysc
FTW Member
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2010/12/11 13:18:51
You incorrect in some aspects. I had EVGA precision installed before I installed the Rivatuner linked in my tutorial and it still works fine. EVGA precision in fact does have the files but they are different then the ones I linked. Which is why EVGA precision does not let you monitor the cpu temp in an OSD while in game.
post edited by fattysc - 2010/12/11 13:29:46
owcraftsman
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2010/12/11 13:29:10
Let's say you need Precision, can the Riva Tuner server that runs with it be configured to show the CPU temp OSD without having all three running? Same Q for MSI AB I guess?
fattysc
FTW Member
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2010/12/11 13:35:18
I just took a look at EVGA precision and I do not see a way to configure it. I have no idea about MSI.

Maybe sidewinder the author of both programs could chime in and point us in the right direction.
post edited by fattysc - 2010/12/11 13:37:20
dreadmoc
Superclocked Member
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2010/12/11 18:04:54
Hey, while we are at it can someone tell me how to monitor frames per second while in game?
fattysc
FTW Member
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2010/12/11 21:46:11
dreadmoc

Hey, while we are at it can someone tell me how to monitor frames per second while in game?

1: Open EVGA precision
2: Click the wrench button.
3: Click the monitoring tab.
4: Scroll down and click the check mark next to frame rate.
5: Make sure the frame rate is selected and check the Show in On-Screen Display.
memphoman
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2010/12/14 23:25:08
My new computer has a GTX470 and really performs well in WoW, my problem is that with my OSD via precision, as soon as I select anything but 1x sampling, the OSD disappears. I do force DX11 via the command line launcher switch -d3d11
rodrigoxdxd
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2011/01/23 18:04:41
I don't see the 'hardware monitor' option with my 570 SLI. I believe RivaTuner doesn't know my cards. Is there any way to get around this?
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2011/02/21 16:04:13
owcraftsman

It should be noted the Riva Tuner is already running in your system tray if you use EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner and setup will be different. With either installed you will not be able to install RIVA the 1st app linked in the OP and I believe the files RTCore.cfg, RTCore.dll, RTCore.rth  are included with the EVGA & MSI apps correct me if I'm wrong. I use my G15 display personally but this is a nice toot for those that don't have one. Good job and thanks for sharing this fattysc!

RTCore.dll and RTCore.cfg files included in Precision and MSI Afterburner are totally different then the RealTemp files necessary for this plugin.  RTCore.dll included with Precision and Afterburner are part of the RivaTuner Core Library.  The RTCore.dll and RTCore.cfg files included with RealTemp are part of the RealTemp Core Dynamic Link Library.  I think it was only a matter of mistake that the files have the same names.  There may be some hidden agreement between the authors, or it may be pure coincidence that the files are so similar in name (but completely different in make-up and size).

That being said, RivaTuner 2.24c no longer works with the newer drivers (even with the RivaTuner / System / Force Driver Version Power User option).  A sad day.    Hopefully RivaTuner won't die.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2011/02/21 16:22:41
I still use RT. Want to keep it as long as possibe. I guess whenever I upgrade to the newest video card I may have to get newer drivers than these 197.45's and chuck RT for Precision. I really like RT though. It's going to be hard to switch to something else.     
1tazmaniac
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2012/01/16 13:47:22
Hello, I am having a problem with the install of Rivatuner. I am running Windows 7 pro 64. I get the driver not digitally signed error when trying to install. When I open Rivatuner I can not access the area as in your video. Is this due to the driver not being installed? If so is there a way I can install Rivatuner correctly?
Here is a shot of Rivatuner on my pc:

Attached Image(s)

fattysc
FTW Member
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2012/01/17 06:01:06
1tazmaniac

Hello, I am having a problem with the install of Rivatuner. I am running Windows 7 pro 64. I get the driver not digitally signed error when trying to install. When I open Rivatuner I can not access the area as in your video. Is this due to the driver not being installed? If so is there a way I can install Rivatuner correctly?
Here is a shot of Rivatuner on my pc:

I've never had that problem and I just retried installing RivaTuner. My only suggestion would be to install it as Administrator and when it asks if you want to install the driver because of it not being digitally signed go ahead and install it. If it will let you.
gullerback
iCX Member
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2012/01/17 06:18:42
ati tray tools also has a simple text OSD option in their software,  You can set it to show temps for anything
peeler05
SSC Member
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2012/01/17 09:15:51
I have my computer caseless and it sits right next to me. On the z68 there is a temperature led monitor on the front of the board for the cpu, so I just look at that while in game. Ive always wondered if there was a way to check cpu temp in game tho, good work.
Kamarad
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2012/01/17 09:18:59
I use coreTemp in conjunction with my Logitech G510 keyboard so I can monitor temps on the LCD screen.  Makes thing real easy.
1tazmaniac
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2012/01/17 13:02:52
Thanks fattysc. It never asks me if I want to install the driver, it just tells me that the program tried to install a driver that was not digitally signed when I run it as admin. End result is exactly the same.
Asetek Im Hit!
ASETEK Representative
Re:How to (tutorial): Show CPU TEMP while in game 2012/01/17 13:50:31
1tazmaniac

Thanks fattysc. It never asks me if I want to install the driver, it just tells me that the program tried to install a driver that was not digitally signed when I run it as admin. End result is exactly the same.

Same issue here.
  • Back to Mobile