Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 32
Author
linuxrouter
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8043
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 104
2009/11/04 11:35:51 (permalink)
This thread is dedicated to Linux folding including virtualized Linux folding, native Linux folding, and diskless Linux folding via PXE. All images have been updated to client 6.34 for Core A5 support. These images also support SMP2 and uni-processor work.

To calculate bonus points and PPD based on TPF, go here:

Folding Bonus Point Calculator

Image and instructions

VMware Images                                
Version 1.5.0 has been updated to use client v6.34 and core A5 which reenables bigadv support under Linux. Version 1.5.0 also supports running SMP2 and one or more instances of the uni-processor client. Initially testing has shown frame times at 30:28 running project 6091 via a 920 @ 3.8 GHz and using -smp 8. As a comparison, the frame times in native Linux using the same configuration are at 29:53. 

VMware disk images:

VMware Folding

Thanks to wb488641 and braindancer for providing file mirror locations. Thanks to gotspeed for making the torrent. Thank you to CBT over at foldingforum.org for mirroring the v1.1 image file. 

VMWare Player Download

VMWare Player 3.0

Use the original version 3.0 for 8-core support via the i7. Newer versions appear to have a 4-core restriction.

Virtualbox Folding 

Virtualbox Folding  

Native Folding 

Native Linux Folding 

PXE Folding

Folding@Home && BOINC - PXE / TFTP Network Boot Image 

Backup scripts
Folding backup scripts provided by TheCrazyCanuck (see further down the thread for more info)

Folding Backup Scripts 
Folding Backup Questions Link         

Thanks to Shane @ EVGA for hosting the file and thanks to TheCrazyCanuck for spending the time writing the backup scripts and instructions.  

Utilities

Qfix - Linux 64-bit build - Source (Link 1 - Link 2

7-Zip offers much better compression options than using Zip. The compression program can be found here:

7-zip          

Installation
These instructions apply to VMware but the web and client configuration also should work for Virtualbox and the native Linux image.

SimC33 put together a guide with images of the setup configuration including command line configuration. His guide can be found here:

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=187308

SimC's guide covers how to setup via the command line. The guide below covers how to setup the folding client to auto-start via the web. 

1) Enabled VT in BIOS and install VMWare Player 3.0 with the default options. Version 3.0.1 is limited to 4-cores. Make sure to use version 3.0 for 8-core support.

2) Download and uncompress the image. Put the file anywhere you like as long as there is at least 8GB free storage.

3) Startup VMWare Player.

4) Click Open a Virtual Machine on the right-side of the VMware window. Here is a screenshot:

5) Go to the location where you put the image and double click on the Linux64_FAH.vmx file. In you decide to edit the vmx file, make sure to leave the number of CPUs at 8 otherwise you will not be able to get bigadv work. Double click on the name "Linux64_FAH" to start the virtual machine.

6) The following screenshot shows where to grab the web address from the virtual machine console highlighted in white.

Enter that web address to setup the client. The following screenshot shows the web configuration. Enter your Username and team. Enter your passkey if you plan to run bigadv. Select the clients and numbers of cores you would like to use. The number of penguins on the top of the window indicates how many CPU processors the virtual machine has detected.

Get a passkey here

Click the Help button to review what the other options do. The rest of the options are optional. Click Submit and the system will reboot automatically if you have the Reboot on Submit option checked. After reboot, the folding client will be up and running and will begin to download a new work unit.

7) To setup folding progress monitoring via HFM.net, follow the instructions provided by the virtual machine. The instructions are highlighted in blue. Here is a screenshot as an example based on those instructions:

FahMon and Fahspy can also be used for monitoring.

System information:

Disable web configuration command: web disable 

To login via console 3-6: 

Login: fah 
Password: fah1234

Access multiple consoles: ALT+F1 - F6

Shutdown command: shutdown -h now
Reboot command: reboot    

Additional Information and Configuration Options

Bonus point requirements

1) At least 10 Core A3 (SMP2 or Bigadv) work units must be completed before qualifying for bonus points. 
2) At least 80% of Core A3 work units must be completed successfully.
3) A passkey must be used. 
4) Once other requirements are met, the bigadv work units must be completed by the preferred deadline.

GNU License

The Linux image software is covered under the GNU General Public License Version 2  

Folding backup scripts and instructions provided by TheCrazyCanuck

TheCrazyCanuck

These files will allow you to backup your FAH contents to your Windows machine every hour.  Those of you who have real servers to backup files just tweak the username, password, and location accordingly.  These files also take care of backing up the ramdrive if you happen to use it.  The reason why you would want to backup every hour is because if the FAH client restarts early then you might loose days worth of work that is either not backed up or has been backed up and replaced by another backup. 

The hourly backups also resync the clock just in case it was drifting over time.  I give you the option of starting up the client with a RAM disk using what Linuxrouter has provided and I give you instructions on how you can retain those contents since they are volatile. 

*Disclaimer:  I expect anyone who uses this to read the instructions and not complain to me if they loose a WU because they were too lazy to follow instructions.  I also take no responsibility for anything you manage to bugger up on the host or VM.* 

View original IP configuration information

If you missed the original configuration information including the IP address, FahMon setup, and web configuration address, then you can run this command to see that information again: 

info 

Troubleshooting

Solution for client error "Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID" (Credit to pgmoney for solution)

The virtual machine needs an IP on the network in order to access the Internet and the folding servers. If on startup the IP is missing in the notification, then this configuration change may give the virtual machine access to the network.

1) Open VMWare and select Linux64_FAH but do not start the virtual machine
2) Click "Edit virtual machine settings"
3) Click on Network Adapter
4) Change Network Connection from Bridged to NAT
5) Click OK and start the virtual machine

Advanced Options

SSH / Screen Session Setup (Optional)

For those familiar with SSH, there is also the option to access the virtual machine and FAH client remotely. 

Only do this if you are familiar with SSH and feel that your network is adequately secure

To enable SSH: 

chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd; /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd start 

You can now SSH into the virtual machine using the fah login. Make sure your network is secure first. I would highly recommend setting a new password for the fah account to something more secure using the command: passwd fah. Alternatively, setup a key pair. Use your favorite SSH client. I use Putty in Windows and OpenSSH in Linux. 

Setup a screen session: 

screen -R -D -S fah 

Startup FAH: 

./fah6 -bigadv -smp 7 

Detach from screen session: 

CTRL A + D 

Reconnect to the screen session at a later time: 

screen -rx fah 

Using this method you can login to your virtual machine from another system on the same network or from another site if your network is configured for remote access (VPN) and then join into the screen session again to monitor your FAH client.  

Old Forum Thread

Link to old forum thread

post edited by linuxrouter - 2011/08/20 20:09:44

954 Replies Related Threads

69vettester
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 356
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/04 12:28:38 (permalink)
    Guess we can try and continue here  LR ? This is the most important Post going on right now. Whats hard is not being able to scroll up and Down the thread to keep Focused.
    post edited by 69vettester - 2009/11/04 12:31:18

Lian-Li P80,
    Evga X58 classified E760,
    i7 975 extreme,
    Coolermaster V8,
    3 2Gig corsair dominator dimms,
    Corsair HX1000w modular PSU,
    2 EVGA 8800gts 512 card SLI
    2 Sata raptors in Raid 0

Yea Though I walk Through the Valley Of Death I Reserve My God given Right to Scream, Im Gettin the Hell Outta Here, at any time!!

onesavior
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 468
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/04 13:39:39 (permalink)
    ok, i reinstalled VMware and am going to try 0.2 version later today, well see if it works...i think if i had my router it would be easier to do, but the wife took it

Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

My heat ware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=67739

linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/04 18:03:45 (permalink)
    onesavior

ok, i reinstalled VMware and am going to try 0.2 version later today, well see if it works...i think if i had my router it would be easier to do, but the wife took it

I added a section at the end of the guide on how to switch from bridged to NAT mode. If you have network issues when you try again, go ahead and give that a shot.
    Full Metal Folder
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 483
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/04 18:40:26 (permalink)
    Hi linuxrouter
    How can i use all 8 cores with your image, i only fold on the CPU and surf the net, i have six gigs ram and only a 3.0 OC.
    So i can assigned most of the memory to the VM, i have a 44 minute tpf i may not finish in time for the bonus.
    thanks for your help.
    linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/04 18:59:39 (permalink)
    mech581

Hi linuxrouter
    How can i use all 8 cores with your image, i only fold on the CPU and surf the net, i have six gigs ram and only a 3.0 OC.
    So i can assigned most of the memory to the VM, i have a 44 minute tpf i may not finish in time for the bonus.
    thanks for your help.

Hello -
    8 cores with bigadv has not worked for me. If you run the 1920 pt smaller units then 8 cores works just fine (./fah6 -smp 8). With 44 minute TPF, you should get the following for points:

50298 Points per unit
    16437 PPD

Each unit would take 3.06 days. The preferred deadline is 4-days.
    Full Metal Folder
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 483
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/04 19:11:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help.

50298 points is better than doing -smp 8 on the 1920's.
    As long i dont lose one -bigadv, if that happens then i'll do the -smp 8 and 1920's.

Thanks again.
    Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3837
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/04 22:30:39 (permalink)
    Gees, this transition is really putting a hurt on communication right now. Any way just an update. I finished and picked up a new -bigadv WU yesterday but it was stuck at the command line Entering M.D. run. I had to restart it I think 2 times before it would actually start processing the WU although the processor usage was showing 96% even when it was stuck. I am still running the original disk image. I am planning on getting another i7 920 for my Rig 2 and put the second version of the -bigadv on it and see if it runs with less intervention on my part. Iwill keep yo updated. 

linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/04 23:02:44 (permalink)
    horvat

Gees, this transition is really putting a hurt on communication right now. Any way just an update. I finished and picked up a new -bigadv WU yesterday but it was stuck at the command line Entering M.D. run. I had to restart it I think 2 times before it would actually start processing the WU although the processor usage was showing 96% even when it was stuck. I am still running the original disk image. I am planning on getting another i7 920 for my Rig 2 and put the second version of the -bigadv on it and see if it runs with less intervention on my part. Iwill keep yo updated. 

Sometimes the client will not post an update until it gets done with the first 1 or 2 percent. I have seen this on my native Linux folders before.

How many have you gotten done so far?

v1 and 2 have the same client. The main thing I added in v2 is the web configuration for simplified setup.
    leftygof
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1754
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 03:15:08 (permalink)
    I have a 25,403 pt unit that will be done in 29 hours @ 38 minutes TPF.

Which shows 1 day and 10 hours ahead of schedule.

If you recieve bonus points are they given right when you submit the WU or do you wait a while?

Also, how in the heck do you know exactly how many bonus points were given?

I am a bigadv neewb

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 07:15:14 (permalink)
    linuxrouter

horvat

Sometimes the client will not post an update until it gets done with the first 1 or 2 percent. I have seen this on my native Linux folders before.

How many have you gotten done so far?

v1 and 2 have the same client. The main thing I added in v2 is the web configuration for simplified setup.

I have completed two so far and am 1 day and some hours left for the third.

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 07:18:35 (permalink)
    leftygof

I have a 25,403 pt unit that will be done in 29 hours @ 38 minutes TPF.

Which shows 1 day and 10 hours ahead of schedule.

If you recieve bonus points are they given right when you submit the WU or do you wait a while?

Also, how in the heck do you know exactly how many bonus points were given?

I am a bigadv neewb  
    It will take one or two update times for the bonus pints to show on extreme oc. I have not figured out how to determine exactly how many of the points are the bonus points but you will see a huge points increse.

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 07:22:09 (permalink)
    Ok, sorry about that last post. This new forum has some problems that are really getting on my nerves. Leftygof, it will take one or two check ponts on extreme oc for the bonus points to be added. I have not figured out how to determine exactly how much of the points are the bonus points but you will see a huge increse in points when it posts.

Bipe
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 351
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 07:47:36 (permalink)
    I've done 12 1920 wu's (with new vmware img, before doesens more) all in time, cca 7200 - 7500 ppd, using passkey, starting with -smp 7 -bigadv
    in config i select "big" for the unit size and enabled advmethods

but no bigadv wu's for me :(
    have they run out of bigadv or what?
    leftygof
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1754
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 08:45:25 (permalink)
    bipe00

I've done 12 1920 wu's (with new vmware img, before doesens more) all in time, cca 7200 - 7500 ppd, using passkey, starting with -smp 7 -bigadv
    in config i select "big" for the unit size and enabled advmethods

but no bigadv wu's for me :(
    have they run out of bigadv or what?

I am by no means the expert, but from what I understand....it is "luck of the draw"
    Keep plugging and you'll get one. I got one on the 1st try

69vettester
    iCX Member
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 09:47:32 (permalink)
    My Main rig , tri gtx 275 not in sli and 975 CPU 3.6GHZ has Got me two WU and starting on a third now.

My i7 920, two Gtx 275's has been a Pain in the rearola , Hasnt completed a WU due to maintenance shut downs and then not only will it lose the checkpoints , it wont even start another Bigadv unless I wipe the old one from the disk , then uninstall , reinstall the VMPlayer. 

The poor  little i7 920 Makes Temps in the 90's when  OC to 3.6GHZ.
    I can run it at only 3.1GHZ and temps are still reaching low 80's. Its stable so Ill see if I can get a Bigadv completed with it until I get a  h50 water setup.

Fold On Bruthes and Sistas , if there are any of those around.

post edited by 69vettester - 2009/11/05 10:00:51

Lian-Li P80,
    i7 975 extreme,
    Coolermaster V8,
    2 Sata raptors in Raid 0

Yea Though I walk Through the Valley Of Death I Reserve My God given Right to Scream, Im Gettin the Hell Outta Here, at any time!!

tank1023
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5366
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 10:12:28 (permalink)
    Got my 25k yesterday, so I went back to the -smp 7 to do my 10 WU's. Nice program!

Folding whatever I can :o)     
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67403

linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 10:53:01 (permalink)
    For those interested in how the bonus points are calculated, this is how:

First convert the TPF to the time it will take to complete the unit in days.

TPF: 35:25 (35 minutes and 25 seconds)

35 minutes

There is one frame per percent so we multiply 35 by 100 to get total minutes.

35x100= 3500

Convert to seconds:

3500x60= 210000

25 seconds

25x100= 2500

Total seconds

210000+2500= 212500

Convert seconds into days:

212500/60/60/24= 2.46 days

Calculate bonus factor

bonus factor = sqrt(deadline_time * k / WU_time)

deadline_time= 6 and k is a constant factor set to 2

(6 * 2 / 2.46)= 4.89

sqrt(4.89)= 2.21

Calculate total points

Total points = base points * bonus factor

25403 * 2.21= 56140.63

Calculate PPD

56140.63 / 2.46= 22821 PPD
    Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 10:59:15 (permalink)
    You keep forgetting to explain one thing, what the heck is SQRT.

linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 11:00:43 (permalink)
    Horvat

You keep forgetting to explain one thing, what the heck is SQRT.

Square Root
    Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 11:02:25 (permalink)
    Thank you.

69vettester
    iCX Member
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 11:32:53 (permalink)
    Excellent LR, Ill make a routine for my HP 11c That will do the calculation by just  inputing the TPF. In fact you practically spelled out the routine Steps almost perfectly, for HP Calculator Programming Language.

Lian-Li P80,
    i7 975 extreme,
    Coolermaster V8,
    2 Sata raptors in Raid 0

SevereWX
    • Total Posts : 44
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 12:06:07 (permalink)
    I've been using this VMware setup exactly as the guide states on my Core i7 system (920 @ 3.61 GHz) for a couple days now; and started on my first -bigadv (P2683 - 25403 credit) work unit late yesterday. So far it's still plugging along steadily, with a 36.48 TPF (according to HFM.NET v0.4.0 Beta) for going on 18 hours straight now without any hiccups or hangups. For me, I'd say it works just like it's supposed to according to the guide.

Thanks for the excellent guide and resources, linuxrouter!

tank1023
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5366
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 12:31:52 (permalink)
    SevereWX

I've been using this VMware setup exactly as the guide states on my Core i7 system (920 @ 3.61 GHz) for a couple days now; and started on my first -bigadv (P2683 - 25403 credit) work unit late yesterday. So far it's still plugging along steadily, with a 36.48 TPF (according to HFM.NET v0.4.0 Beta) for going on 18 hours straight now without any hiccups or hangups. For me, I'd say it works just like it's supposed to according to the guide.

Did you finish 10 normal WU's with a passkey before you started the bigadv?
    I just started over because I have been running vmware for 6months but never did one with a passykey.

when you start use this to get the normal wu's   ./fah6 -smp 8

Folding whatever I can :o)     
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67403

SevereWX
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 12:39:46 (permalink)
    tank1023

SevereWX

Did you finish 10 normal WU's with a passkey before you started the bigadv?
    I just started over because I have been running vmware for 6months but never did one with a passykey.

when you start use this to get the normal wu's   ./fah6 -smp 8

Yes indeed, I've made more than 10 normal smp WU runs using my passkey before trying out the -bigadv -smp 7 flags. The smaller units run great in VMware using the -smp 8 flag, but when I started my first -bigadv run I accidentally put the -smp 8 for that and it crashed and burned, so to speak. Restarted it with the proper -smp 7 flag for -bigadv and have been trucking along with it very nicely.

linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 13:16:54 (permalink)
    69vettester

Excellent LR, Ill make a routine for my HP 11c That will do the calculation by just  inputing the TPF. In fact you practically spelled out the routine Steps almost perfectly, for HP Calculator Programming Language.

Sounds good. I may eventually look at setting up a small Javascript web page for the calculation.
    linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 13:18:25 (permalink)
    SevereWX

Glad you got up and running. 36:48 TPF should give you a decent number of bonus points.
    pgajr
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 13:39:53 (permalink)
    can't figure out how to add this to FahMon, what do i need to do?

Bipe
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 351
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 13:57:57 (permalink)
    looks like mr. murphy found his way to croatia, after changing faulty biostar mobo with new gigabyte ex58 extreme (unfortunatly, evga has no longer distrybuter in croatia) hoping that all will work ok, my gtx260 died (luckily rma it another day and got replaced), but new one won't work stable at 1566 mhz shader as old :(
    also got two bsods today and still no bigadv wu's for me :(((

i hate you mr. murphy, go back where you come from :)))
    species
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 416
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:VMWare 3.0 && bigadv folding (Image available for testing) 2009/11/05 14:09:23 (permalink)
    hi everybody, just a report on how things are going on my side:
    i managed to download a work unit yesterday (25 hrs ago) and vMware has been running with no problems since then. TPF was around 39 mins with no other programs running.
    today i worked all day long using CAD and imaging programs, and I was once again stunned with capabilities of i7. TPF was around 42 mins with all other programs up and running -using around 7GB of ram total. (cross fingers).

Min. Time / Frame : 00:39:38 - 9,229.7 PPD
     Avg. Time / Frame : 00:41:35 - 8,796.9 PPD

my i7 is not OC'ed too much (at 3.35) but the temps are always below 67 C.
    i'm currently at 36%.
    it took a long while to set things up and running my PC all day long will be quite an overhead, but i want to see this work unit done.

once again, thanks linuxrouter.

[W] XEON E5-2650 V3 10 Core + 64GB RAM + NVIDIA QUADRO M5000
    [H] 4790K + 32 GB RAM + EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 BLACK + EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0

Once Upon a Time/ EVGA GTX970 SSC ACX 2.0+/ EVGA GTX780Ti SC x2/ EVGA GTX750Ti FTW/ EVGA GTX560Ti x2/ EVGA GTX550Ti x2/ EVGA GTX460/ ZOTAC GTX460/ EVGA GTX275 x2/ EVGA GTS250 / GGB 9800GT/ BFG 8800GT 

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 32
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile