Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
nexxusty
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2010/08/01 20:31:33 (permalink)
I have had it with my GTX 470. I drop $400+ on a GPU and I get the worst performance in a ton of games.

Games stutter and exhibit low gpu usage. Except a couple. Dirt 2 and Trackmania Nations, both racing games lol. I know for a fact all the stutter people are experiencing in Bad Company 2 is because of GPU usage drop offs.

I was playing Splinter Cell Conviction today, just started the game and I get to a certain area and my gpu usage drops off and my fps becomes very low. As soon as I look upon this scene I get a massive frameskip (stutter) and my gpu usage is at 37%. Literally at the EXACT same time the GPU stutters the usage becomes very low.

I am going to post a video of this, but I am really not doing so well with all the people saying it's not the GTX 400 series, it's our systems. It's NOT our systems, not this issue. Why would my usage drop to 37% on a scene that requires MORE geometry to be rendered? Case in point: I was looking at an effing wall, with 78% gpu usage. Turn around to get frameskip to a wide open scene with 44fps and 37% gpu usage.

THAT is pathetic. I have been doing this since I was 10. Ive seen it all, this is an OBVIOUS bug, and I'd love to hear anything else. I am going to post a video of this showing my gpu usage. After that, there can be no debate.
post edited by nexxusty - 2010/08/01 20:35:42

AOC G2460PG 1080P 144hz 1ms GSYNC
Corsair Air 540
Corsair AX860i
EVGA X99 Classified (BIOS 1.16)
i7 5930k @ 4.0ghz (1.2v) 
Corsair 16gb LPX 3200mhz 15-15-15-35 1T (1.4v) 
EVGA GTX 980 1480/8000mhz
Sound Blaster ZxR
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb (Boot)
Samsung SM951 512gb (Crippled @ X4 2.0)

32 Replies Related Threads

hoserx
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2787
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/01 20:35:57 (permalink)
    I look forward to seeing the video.

Asus Rampage IV Formula x79/ Core i7 3820 /16gb G Skill ddr3-2133mhz  / 2x EVGA GTX 680 /   Intel X-25m 80gb G2 + 120gb G2  / Corsair Force GT 120gb   /WD Caviar black 1TB  /WD Caviar green 500gb /Sound Blaster X-fi titanium fatal1ty / Corsair AX1200 /NZXT Switch 810 (white)/Corsair H100/ HP ZR30W 

_Nite_
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 19175
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/01 21:27:52 (permalink)
    what system specs are you running the card on? low performance sounds like a CPU bottleneck.

welcome to the evga forum btw

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

DNOTTIS
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 526
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/01 21:37:42 (permalink)
    The bottleneck is the lousy drivers.  Good luck getting it fixed!

2600k @ 4.6ghz, G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3, Asus P8P67 LGA, X-Fi Ti PCI-e, Zotac GTX 680, Coolermaster UCP 1100 watt PSU, Lian Li v-2000, Custom Water Cooled GPU and CPU. 
    _Nite_
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 19175
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/01 21:50:16 (permalink)
    DNOTTIS

if that was the case it be happening to everyone with GTX 4xx

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

shogon
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2741
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/01 22:07:14 (permalink)
    what drivers are ya usin,

I will either find a way, or make one.

٩(๏̯͡๏)۶ 
    DNOTTIS
    SSC Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/01 22:17:18 (permalink)
    _Nite_

DNOTTIS

if that was the case it be happening to everyone with GTX 4xx

not if there is a conflict with the drivers and something else....

2600k @ 4.6ghz, G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3, Asus P8P67 LGA, X-Fi Ti PCI-e, Zotac GTX 680, Coolermaster UCP 1100 watt PSU, Lian Li v-2000, Custom Water Cooled GPU and CPU. 
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/01 22:36:04 (permalink)
    nexxusty

I have had it with my GTX 470. I drop $400+ on a GPU and I get the worst performance in a ton of games.

Games stutter and exhibit low gpu usage. Except a couple. Dirt 2 and Trackmania Nations, both racing games lol. I know for a fact all the stutter people are experiencing in Bad Company 2 is because of GPU usage drop offs.

I was playing Splinter Cell Conviction today, just started the game and I get to a certain area and my gpu usage drops off and my fps becomes very low. As soon as I look upon this scene I get a massive frameskip (stutter) and my gpu usage is at 37%. Literally at the EXACT same time the GPU stutters the usage becomes very low.

I am going to post a video of this, but I am really not doing so well with all the people saying it's not the GTX 400 series, it's our systems. It's NOT our systems, not this issue. Why would my usage drop to 37% on a scene that requires MORE geometry to be rendered? Case in point: I was looking at an effing wall, with 78% gpu usage. Turn around to get frameskip to a wide open scene with 44fps and 37% gpu usage.

THAT is pathetic. I have been doing this since I was 10. Ive seen it all, this is an OBVIOUS bug, and I'd love to hear anything else. I am going to post a video of this showing my gpu usage. After that, there can be no debate.

Then obviously something is wrong as I have a ton of games and excellent performance in all of them. Even Fallout 3 the stutter King is smooth. If you've been building systems for a period of time  of course you know we really can't help you without having more information than the equivalent of yelling at your mechanic 'car broke fix it'. Give us some more information. Your set up incl. hardware O/S etc etc.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

DNOTTIS
    SSC Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/02 06:59:04 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi

nexxusty

Then obviously something is wrong as I have a ton of games and excellent performance in all of them. Even Fallout 3 the stutter King is smooth. If you've been building systems for a period of time  of course you know we really can't help you without having more information than the equivalent of yelling at your mechanic 'car broke fix it'. Give us some more information. Your set up incl. hardware O/S etc etc.

We've compared a multitude of the computers with the same problems.  The only thing alot of us had in common was an X-FI.  But we've ruled that out, I removed mine, didn't even bother to enable onboard and reinstalled Windows 7 and BF BC2 - stutter was still there.  I then enabled onboard sound, installed latest drivers, stutter still there.  Cosmosis909 even went and bought an AMD x4 to test the GTX 480 in... and it still existed when he moved it from his i7 rig to the AMD rig.

There has been nothing in common other than that in some of these machines with the stutter... except the Nvidia GTX 480 GPU..and of that we had different bioses on them and they are different manufacturers.  From there we went on to compare the version of BF BC2 we were running and again they were all different.

I even went back and tried Vista, Cosmosis went back to XP and still saw it.  As most of us were using Win7 x64 - but we've ruled that out too.
    post edited by DNOTTIS - 2010/08/02 07:02:59

limpkorn
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6427
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/02 08:05:04 (permalink)
    I've had no problems. Have you try upping the voltage slightly with the MSI afterburner or even EVGA's Eleet app?

That my fix your problems if the GPU is not defaulting to the proper voltage you may get performance drops like you're describing. I know you probably don't want to hear this either, but your PSU might be the culprit as well.
    Kamarad
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2062
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/02 08:32:11 (permalink)
    At this point, looks like you have two options:

1)  Try the card in a different computer.  I know, I know, it has to be the card, right?  Well, then this would show that.  If it works, then it's the computer.  If it doesn't, then it is the card so just RMA it.  I wouldn't put it in another computer that has the same card or anything, but a completely different computer that doesn't have this card.

2)  Just RMA it and be done with it.  It seems you are just causing yourself a lot of headache instead of just getting it replaced and getting it over with.

rafter1974
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 304
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/02 08:40:45 (permalink)
    DNOTTIS

HeavyHemi

nexxusty

We've compared a multitude of the computers with the same problems.  The only thing alot of us had in common was an X-FI.  But we've ruled that out, I removed mine, didn't even bother to enable onboard and reinstalled Windows 7 and BF BC2 - stutter was still there.  I then enabled onboard sound, installed latest drivers, stutter still there.  Cosmosis909 even went and bought an AMD x4 to test the GTX 480 in... and it still existed when he moved it from his i7 rig to the AMD rig.

There has been nothing in common other than that in some of these machines with the stutter... except the Nvidia GTX 480 GPU..and of that we had different bioses on them and they are different manufacturers.  From there we went on to compare the version of BF BC2 we were running and again they were all different.

I even went back and tried Vista, Cosmosis went back to XP and still saw it.  As most of us were using Win7 x64 - but we've ruled that out too.

But your problem is just BFBC2, not "tons of games" as the OP is mentioning. You can't lump every person who has an issue with these cards into your same group of people.

I'd also love to see a video from this guy, because the only issue I've seen with Splinter Cell: Conviction is in 3D Vision, where there is a huge leak that causes frames to plummet. With a single 480 my gpu utilization doesn't drop below 70% ever, and usually hovers in the 85-90% range in SC:C. I've actually been testing the game a lot since yesterday when I bought it due to the 3D Vision issues, and I can find nothing wrong with playing it outside of 3D.
    DNOTTIS
    SSC Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/02 09:05:03 (permalink)
    rafter1974

DNOTTIS

HeavyHemi

nexxusty

But your problem is just BFBC2, not "tons of games" as the OP is mentioning. You can't lump every person who has an issue with these cards into your same group of people.

I'd also love to see a video from this guy, because the only issue I've seen with Splinter Cell: Conviction is in 3D Vision, where there is a huge leak that causes frames to plummet. With a single 480 my gpu utilization doesn't drop below 70% ever, and usually hovers in the 85-90% range in SC:C. I've actually been testing the game a lot since yesterday when I bought it due to the 3D Vision issues, and I can find nothing wrong with playing it outside of 3D.

I've got it in HAWX and Oblivion too... I'm just really playing BF BC2 now so its my major concern.  I installed and tested those the other day and confirmed the same problem as the others.

nexxusty
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/02 17:29:46 (permalink)
    First of all. You guys are awesome. Lots of replies and help offered.

I got busy dealing with the GF last night so that took my whole night. As soon as I can get that video up, I will.

I have a Q9550 @ 3.86ghz @ 453mhz FSB/Performance Level 7. I cannot see my CPU being a bottleneck. I do have DDR2 RAM, my kit is 4gb though and my bandwidth is stellar for DDR2. I get about 9.7gb/s real world. 54.5NS latency. From my tests, that is almost equal to DDR3 @ 1333mhz+ un-tweaked. Bandwidth wise anyways. And latency wise I am golden. My GTX 470 is @ 825/1650/2225 and it passes 30 mins of you name it with no artifacts. I have tested @ stock as well, and with slightly increased voltages @ stock. No difference.

I have used every driver available for the GTX 400 series. Hell, I have even tried modding older drivers. It installs but the device is yellow flagged in DM. I am pretty sure it's just one file that I need to replace allowing it to recognize the architecture. nHancer is awesome with these cards. 19x.xx only though. My PSU is a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w. It's not the PSU. I have tested other cards with this PSU in the past (recently) with no problems. Even 4870 Crossfire.

Just installed AvP, going to check that out quickly and I will get that SC:C video up ASAP.

*edit* Just played the first level in AvP. Everything on high, all DX 11 features on high. 4xAA and 16xAF no Vsync. Smooth as butter, no lag at all.

I have said this before and will say it again (not here). DX11 games usually play fine. I am having the most issues with DX10 and 9 games.
    post edited by nexxusty - 2010/08/02 18:14:47

Corsair Air 540
    Corsair AX860i
    i7 5930k @ 4.0ghz (1.2v) 
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    DNOTTIS
    SSC Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/02 18:27:51 (permalink)
    nexxusty

First of all. You guys are awesome. Lots of replies and help offered.

I got busy dealing with the GF last night so that took my whole night. As soon as I can get that video up, I will.

I have a Q9550 @ 3.86ghz @ 453mhz FSB/Performance Level 7. I cannot see my CPU being a bottleneck. I do have DDR2 RAM, my kit is 4gb though and my bandwidth is stellar for DDR2. I get about 9.7gb/s real world. 54.5NS latency. From my tests, that is almost equal to DDR3 @ 1333mhz+ un-tweaked. Bandwidth wise anyways. And latency wise I am golden. My GTX 470 is @ 825/1650/2225 and it passes 30 mins of you name it with no artifacts. I have tested @ stock as well, and with slightly increased voltages @ stock. No difference.

I have used every driver available for the GTX 400 series. Hell, I have even tried modding older drivers. It installs but the device is yellow flagged in DM. I am pretty sure it's just one file that I need to replace allowing it to recognize the architecture. nHancer is awesome with these cards. 19x.xx only though. My PSU is a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w. It's not the PSU. I have tested other cards with this PSU in the past (recently) with no problems. Even 4870 Crossfire.

Just installed AvP, going to check that out quickly and I will get that SC:C video up ASAP.

*edit* Just played the first level in AvP. Everything on high, all DX 11 features on high. 4xAA and 16xAF no Vsync. Smooth as butter, no lag at all.

I have said this before and will say it again (not here). DX11 games usually play fine. I am having the most issues with DX10 and 9 games.

Which games were you having the most problems with again?

nexxusty
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/02 21:55:49 (permalink)
    AvP plays admirably. A little stutter, not much.

Still there though, random times. Had some crashes, fixed those by updating. Been playing it for  few hrs actually. I will be doing the SC:C video tonight.

Corsair Air 540
    Corsair AX860i
    i7 5930k @ 4.0ghz (1.2v) 
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Viamonte
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 344
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/03 02:30:17 (permalink)
    OK, let's keep the forum tidy, shall we? We have a 15 page ongoing thread on problems with GPU usage and microstuttering, please refer similar problems to that topic only and keep it clean =)

MB:        MSI Eclipse SLI
    CPU:      i7 920 @ 4ghz w/ CoolerMaster V8
    RAM:     Corsair 6gb 1600mhz @ 1600mhz
    VID:      EVGA GTX 480 @ 870mhz / 2100mhz 1.100v
    HD:      2x Samsung HD 500gb
    MON:    LG W2353V
    KB:       Logitech g15
    SOUND:Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme PCI-e @ Edifier
    CASE:   CoolerMaster CM 690
    PSU:     Corsair tx850w
    nexxusty
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/03 16:12:06 (permalink)
    Normally I'd agree. But the OP in that thread doesn't know a damn thing.

And the guy who basically took it over (DNOTTIS) has a 5870 now, so he's obviously not going to contribute anymore.

There ARE methods to my madness. That thread was about Bad Company 2. This is about low GPU usage in general. I'm not going to post in a thread about one game when this happens in many games for me. And others.
    post edited by nexxusty - 2010/08/03 16:14:21

Corsair Air 540
    Corsair AX860i
    i7 5930k @ 4.0ghz (1.2v) 
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    DNOTTIS
    SSC Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/03 16:15:34 (permalink)
    nexxusty

And the guy who basically took it over (DNOTTIS) has a 5870 now, so he's obviously not going to contribute anymore.

There ARE methods to my madness.

I've got both cards.  Nvidia wanted to borrow my GTX 480 which is why I now have a 5870.  They are going to swap me for one of theirs.  I'm waiting for them to setup the cross ship still.  I'm still contributing but I've been working on this for 4 months.  I needed a break from troubleshooting / reinstalling Windows every day / testing stuff, so far I'm watching, waiting to see what others come up with.

nexxusty
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/03 16:27:20 (permalink)
    DNOTTIS

nexxusty

I've got both cards.  Nvidia wanted to borrow my GTX 480 which is why I now have a 5870.  They are going to swap me for one of theirs.  I'm waiting for them to setup the cross ship still.  I'm still contributing but I've been working on this for 4 months.  I needed a break from troubleshooting / reinstalling Windows every day / testing stuff, so far I'm watching, waiting to see what others come up with.

I've read through your epic journey. ;)

Basically I am trying to pick up where you left off. You do deserve a break. LOL. I personally appreciate all the testing you have done, immensely. I have no where to go as of yet, but at least I know what not to try.

I thought for the longest time it could of been my Creative Audigy. Your troubleshooting helped me see it wasn't.

Corsair Air 540
    Corsair AX860i
    i7 5930k @ 4.0ghz (1.2v) 
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    argiveajax
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/03 17:05:38 (permalink)
    nexxusty

DNOTTIS

nexxusty

I've read through your epic journey. ;)

Basically I am trying to pick up where you left off. You do deserve a break. LOL. I personally appreciate all the testing you have done, immensely. I have no where to go as of yet, but at least I know what not to try.

I thought for the longest time it could of been my Creative Audigy. Your troubleshooting helped me see it wasn't.

What can I do to help figure this out? I get funky usage in some games also and it drives me insane. BFBC2 (as we ALL know) is particularly bad with GPU usage (****ing retarded honestly). And in all honesty, that game is a huge reason why I dropped 1k on these damn 480s (I love 'em).

But seriously, how can I help. I've been through multiple mobos, processors, operating systems, same issues. 

Anyone telling me anything about bottlenecks is a damn fool. Bottlenecks totally exist, but my i7 920 (and the i7 930 I tried at 4.2 ghz) are not bottlenecking ANYTHING. Neither is my RAM. Check my sig.

I've tried every Nvidia control panel 3d settings configuration I can imagine. 

I'd LOVE to figure this out.

Antec 1200
    HX1000
    i7-950 4.2ghz (H70)
    6 gb dominator gt 1600
    EVGA X58 3 Way
    EVGA GTX480SC SLi x 2 
    1 Bluray + 1 Dvd 
    1tb HDD 
    2 x 64gb Kingston SSDs (boot disc on a 30 gb partition, put my games on the rest of the space available)  

beaconpcguru
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 250
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/03 20:26:33 (permalink)
    I imagine a bottle neck exists between running ram at 1088 (ie 444) and FSB at 453.. ideal ratio 2:1 would have ram running at @900 mhz.... trying slowing ram down to 900 mhz and tighten timings to 4 4 4 12 or 10... if memtests through then tighten further to 3-3-3-10 or 9... have my dominator clocked at 950 mhz at 4-4-4-12.... just a though... 10,500mbs bandwidth.... 56.7 ns latency.. on e6750 clocked at 475x8.. 3.8... just a thought

One (1) MOOD (Monetarily Opressed Overclock Disorder)
    Affiliate Code:  NJ6-4UH-S5FY
    beaconpcguru
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 250
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/03 20:32:02 (permalink)
    bottle necks do exist when ram and cpu communicate at diiferentiating speeds...  i can clock my ram up to 1200 mhz at 5-5-6-16 and get lousy fps and horrible bands... bottlenecks do exist lol... you can overclock to crappier than stock... just my 2 cents.. not starting a debate over the whole situation just offering some insight from someone whos not afraid to fry anything.

One (1) MOOD (Monetarily Opressed Overclock Disorder)
    Affiliate Code:  NJ6-4UH-S5FY
    bigbrag
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1370
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/03 20:40:50 (permalink)
    I have built 5-6 computers in the last few months with both 470's and 480's. All systems were extremely high end. I even owned an sr-2 and 3 480's but I was experiencing the same problems as the OP in many games. The game that bothered me the most was Left 4 Dead 2. The game would be fine and then every 5-10 minutes the gpu ussage would drop and the fps would go between 10-15fps. This has been extremely annoying. I dropped to 2 480's thinking that it was microstuttering but the problem still exists. The problem is wide spread, its not only one person's problem. It seems to be related to specific games and is a driver problem. Anyone who denies it is an idiot in my opinion. I love my water cooled 480's, but I keep a spare 9800gt just for certain games like L4D2 because it is very irritating when I'm playing an online game and my fps drops so low that I get killed.
    DNOTTIS
    SSC Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/03 20:58:58 (permalink)
    bigbrag

I have built 5-6 computers in the last few months with both 470's and 480's. All systems were extremely high end. I even owned an sr-2 and 3 480's but I was experiencing the same problems as the OP in many games. The game that bothered me the most was Left 4 Dead 2. The game would be fine and then every 5-10 minutes the gpu ussage would drop and the fps would go between 10-15fps. This has been extremely annoying. I dropped to 2 480's thinking that it was microstuttering but the problem still exists. The problem is wide spread, its not only one person's problem. It seems to be related to specific games and is a driver problem. Anyone who denies it is an idiot in my opinion. I love my water cooled 480's, but I keep a spare 9800gt just for certain games like L4D2 because it is very irritating when I'm playing an online game and my fps drops so low that I get killed.

good information.  Did all have different hardware, psus, etc?

nexxusty
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/04 03:14:01 (permalink)
    beaconpcguru

I imagine a bottle neck exists between running ram at 1088 (ie 444) and FSB at 453.. ideal ratio 2:1 would have ram running at @900 mhz.... trying slowing ram down to 900 mhz and tighten timings to 4 4 4 12 or 10... if memtests through then tighten further to 3-3-3-10 or 9... have my dominator clocked at 950 mhz at 4-4-4-12.... just a though... 10,500mbs bandwidth.... 56.7 ns latency.. on e6750 clocked at 475x8.. 3.8... just a thought

I like to think I know everything, but I don't lol. I have heard of this before, and it's worth a shot. 10.5 gb/s is very good.

On the other hand, we have a number of other systems much more powerful than mine exhibiting the same issues. Even at stock, they have the same issues.

bigbrag

Ugh. Well, at least we know it's not our builds.

I agree with what you said above as well, lol. Anyone who thinks this doesn't exist is an idiot. No need for opinions there.

post edited by nexxusty - 2010/08/04 03:19:01

Corsair Air 540
    Corsair AX860i
    i7 5930k @ 4.0ghz (1.2v) 
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    jeffredo
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 204
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/04 08:32:27 (permalink)
    I got a EVGA GTX 460 768MB SC last week and my first game was an unmodded Fallout 3.  With all settings on high the framerate would drop into the single digits when fighting several enemies (especially when flamethrowers were involved).  I looked at my Afterburner log and GPU usage was pretty low (like in the 20/30% range) at times.  Just inexplicable drops from 90% +.  I just figured the card defective and since it was within 30 days of purchase I sent it back for a refund.  Oh, and "Old Faithful" 8800 GTX would not duplicate the problem on the same drivers, settings and saved game spot.
    four100
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/08/21 09:06:31 (permalink)
    I am getting the same problem as the OP and I very much doubt that I have a signicant bottleneck and Splinter Cell: Conviction is the only game I have massive fps drop on.
    Valis
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/09/09 23:41:10 (permalink)
    Have you guys tried disabling Core Parking (c6) and possibly C1e if you're on nehelem based systems?  (i7/i5/i3 etc)   x58 & Lynnfield based p55 systems have some serious audio related issues with core parking as the Intel PCU (located on the cpu) tends to overrride anything the OS has going on and shut down cores, resulting in stuff getting swapped around on cores like mad.   (And have seem the same for some VJ related video mixing apps.)

Worth a shot...

Win7 64bit SP1, 2x E5462 2.8Ghz Intel Xeon, 8x 2GB FB-Dimms (16GB total), Supermicro X7DWA-n motherboard, EVGA GTX285, 2x WD RE.4 2TB Hd's, 3x Seagate ES.3 Constellation 1TB Hd's, PC Power&Cooling Silencer MkII 960W PSU (~1 year old, replaced a perfectly functioning 750W PC P&C Silencer due to sagging 5V line when 2-3 Firewire devices were connected externally).  Lian Li aluminum tower case (PC G70 modified) houses all parts...
    squall-leonhart
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2904
    • Ribbons : 24
    Re:Quest to finally get Low GPU usage addressed GTX 400 Series 2010/09/10 01:07:59 (permalink)
    this was verifed a driver issue and has been corrected.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
    Monitor:BenQ G2400WD, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
    HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
    Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile