New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues....

2012/05/12 08:17:00
To make it short...

-Had a 6950
-Overnighted a GTX 670 on release
-Uninstalled all AMD Drivers and ran driver sweeper.
-Installed 301.34 Drivers from nVidia
-Games play for 2 seconds before weird artifacts and display driver crashes over and over until system hangs.

CPU is back at stock speed as well as GPU. Temperatures look normal, but any game or 3dMark will not run.

Installed the card into my mom's system. Installed drivers, same situation. Her PSU was an Antec 620 watt.

I have reinstalled the nVidia drivers, and may be re-installing Windows if nothing else seems to fix this, just submitted a support ticket to hopefully RMA this one.

Also just tried to run FluidMark and it maybe went a second and crashed.

For someone that was jumping ship to expect better performance, and easier driver installations....this may have left a bad taste in my mouth.

I do understand defects happen an no company is perfect.  There is still the fact of spending more money to ship back something I should not have to. If I wanted to spend more money I would have got the Signiture card when it released.

Did any of you other guys' cards seem fine the first day then go to crap the next?
ransan309
SSC Member
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 08:20:27
Just a thought! Has anyone with a 670 tried a different driver besides the 301.34 series?
DrSesma
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 08:23:18
Yeah My GTX 670 is also artifacting like crazy :(
SilentLunatic
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 08:56:54
EVERYONE HAVING ISSUES, REVERT BACK TO 301.25.

It fixed all my issues, games play great and Fluidmark has been running for 10 minutes with no issues now!
SilentLunatic
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 08:58:54
Spoke too soon, as soon as I posted that I minimized my window to look at fluidmark and it crashed.

Although it seems to be more stable, it still isn't stable and I will still be continuing my RMA process......drats.
SilentLunatic
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 09:05:39
Seems if I change the power target to 122%, set the GPU clock to MINUS 125 Mhz and the Memory to MINUS 100Mhz it is stable in FluidMark, and 3dMark.
I wonder if eVga just upped the clocks on normal cards that were not able to cut it?
yapchagi
FTW Member
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 09:07:59
damn how come there are so many gtx 670 faulty cards? I guess nVIDIA is really screwing up A LOT of people eh...

First they tricked us with 680 for $100 more. Then they released 670 for $400 and without knowing there are "artifacting issues" to a bunch of cards. Maybe 100 out of 500 cards have the issue. You'll have to pay for return-shipping fee for RMA. Sucks I know.

Did they even test these cards first or something? Like gaming with the cards for 24 hours. Benchmarks or something.

Or maybe these problems that people are having ...have something to do with shorter PCB?
But then again, the problems are always with eVGA cards.  hhmm...evga's fault then.
post edited by yapchagi - 2012/05/12 09:11:07
Vinushka
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 09:09:55
Seems most people who run into problems with their 680s and 670s are using Superclocked versions. Could be "that thing" that Nvidia is scrambling to fix in the 680 chipset and supposedly is the reason supply is so crappy. Could also be GPU Boost not playing well with factory overclocks. Who knows. I would just RMA it back and try to get a stock speed version.
MSGundam
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 09:17:41
Yea, seems to be the EVGA SC versions are getting the defects. I hope the stock 915 mhz versions are unaffected, which makes me kind of worried as of right now since I have 2 4GB stock 915mhz ordered.
DrSesma
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 09:46:30
I'm not sure if that's the case. i have a stock clocked 2gb 670, and i still run into the problems of artifacting/crashing.
vengeancerr1
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 10:00:44
I also upgraded from a 6950 1gb xfx card to the evga 670 sc. I ordered it from amazon a few hours after the reviews went up, i got it yesterday. I tested out most of my games, they all played fine. Today I played a little longer in games, testing out different image quality settings and such, so far so good, no artifacts or stability promlems with my 670 sc. I tested a little oc of 100 core and memory and it was stable.

I wanted to add that I am impressed with this card so far, games feel really smooth and they have better stock than the 680!

oh, one more thing I just remembered. When I was taking my card out of the package I noticed it had some protective plastic strips on it. When I was peeling them off slowly, I could hear static, I was like omg I hope this doesnt ruin the card because static electricity and computer parts dont mix. Im not saying this is the cause of all these 670 problems but its just a thought.
post edited by vengeancerr1 - 2012/05/12 10:09:09
Vinushka
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 10:01:17
It's hard to judge cause everyone's system is different and could have dormant problems they're not aware of until they upgrade. I just find it safer to go with the stock speeds since there's no need for a factory OC when you know you're gonna be OC'ing higher than that amount anyway. But yeah, defective chips, worn SLI bridges, even something like not reverting OCs and uninstalling your Afterburner or Precision before you install your new cards could lead to problems. Awhile back I was having problems with some terrible Mushkin 2000mhz RAM I ordered off Newegg and eventually got rid of it. I was experimenting with using Precision X on my MSI Cyclone 460s when I usually use Afterburner, and somehow ONE of the GPUs got locked at the 800 core, 2000mhz memory clock, but the other GPU didn't despite me having uninstalled both programs. I must've forgot to revert the OC back to stock speeds before uninstalling or something or there was a conflict in my registry between the two programs, but that **** caused a cluster of problems.

I eventually had to reseat the cards, and get back to my desktop long enough to reinstall Afterburner and make sure both of them were at stock speeds. I blamed Precision though cause that program is terrible for the 460s I use, and the 560 my friend was using with it. Seems to downclock your core to 50mhz which is the lowest idle speed I've ever seen in my life, and cause terrible framerate issues and color flashes in games. Maybe it's only meant for cards with GPU Boost now. Maybe it's just flawed in general. If you're having problems though and are using Precision X, don't hesitate to switch back to stock speeds and uninstall it. Try running a game without it and see if the problem persists.
HotRodPolk
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 10:51:56
Either these first run chips are funky, (and there seems to be rumors to that effect, if there's anything to them), or these drivers are the cause. And it's been my experience, none of the later drivers work right with my 450. So before all you guys rma these 670's, give it a couple days, see if a new driver comes out for it. Considering the new dynamic power control is fresh out of the gate, it could very well be an issue.
Vinushka
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 11:30:26
Yeah, gotta agree with HotRodPolk. I've had nothing but **** performance with my 460s with every new driver all the way back to November. 290.53 was my last good version. I was surprised when I saw one of the first reviews for the 670 on Tweaktown (I think that was the site) and they were using 290.53 too. A beta driver from November still giving a new GPU in May almost as much performance as a 680.  I didn't think the new 600 series worked with anything below 300.xx drivers. Which is terrible since those drivers are so horrible. but when I saw that, I had higher hopes.

It makes me wonder though if like maybe the latest PhysX version or even the one before latest have some kind of major flaws that hurt performance too. I might have to go 3 versions back or something on that one as well. So far my 290.53s have been running stellar with no PhysX installed, but I've only really been playing Shogun 2: FOTS, so PhysX isn't necessary. Once I get a damn 690 or two 670 4GBs, I'll be doing a lot of testing across fully modded Skyrim, Shogun 2, Max Payne 3, Arkham City, BF3, and Diablo 3 (though my crappy 460s can run that game fine) with 4x SGSSAA + 4x MSAA at 1080p, and try running them with 3D vision too. I'll probably throw an SMAA Ultra injection into some of those games too for the hell of it. Can't STAND them jaggies.
SilentLunatic
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 18:58:11
Looks like it may be hardware issues.  But good thing is eVga is going to take care of us.  Hopefully I will hear something tomorrow and have a replacement card later this week.
post edited by SilentLunatic - 2012/05/12 19:10:29
seanmcgpa
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/12 19:05:14
Umm.. if nVidia sells 100,000 cards and we find 25 people posting on the forums about hardware issues, that leaves a lot of satisfied customers.
SilentLunatic
Re:New eVga GTX 670 SC Issues.... 2012/05/13 07:08:46
A mod can close / delete this thread.  eVGA is taking care of us and what they are doing is more than most of us would have asked.

eVGA FTW!
  • Back to Mobile