Helpful ReplyBios doesnt recognize Wd HDD but Win 7 & does

Superclocked Member
2012/01/08 11:17:45
Hi,
I'm building a new computer and ran into a problem. The new mb is an Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3. The forums on their site is hard to get a response from so I come here for the answer. On first boot I go to bios and my WD Black 1.5 tb is not recognized in boot up. When I go to instal win 7 it recognizes the drive but becase it is not listed in bios as a boot drive it wont instal. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3
i5 2500k
8gb Corsair Vengence 1600
Corsair 60gb Force Seris SSD
GTX 580 SC SLI
Corsair H100
KenMcC
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Bios doesnt recognize Wd HDD but Win 7 & does 2012/01/08 11:20:19
Try this: make sure in BIOS the IDE/SATA setting for the Drive is set to AHCI and not IDE.   
seadoge8
Superclocked Member
Re:Bios doesnt recognize Wd HDD but Win 7 & does 2012/01/08 11:40:05
Thank you Ken for your fast response. I figured out the problem. I didnt have the drive in the correct sata 3 port. When I did my first build you helped not pull my hair out and I appreciated that. I have another question. I wnt to utilize the z68 smart response and wonder if you know where I can get a guide to set the up bios properly? Thank you again
KenMcC
CLASSIFIED Member
☄ Helpful
Re:Bios doesnt recognize Wd HDD but Win 7 & does 2012/01/08 11:42:03
Here's what I have:
Intel Smart Response SSD Caching
4x Read only improvement!
Write thru perfomance is HDD limited. 
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-z68-express-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching,2938-3.html

seadoge8
Superclocked Member
Re:Bios doesnt recognize Wd HDD but Win 7 & does 2012/01/08 16:46:45
Well I guess my next question is, now that I installed windows while not in Raid mode do I reinstall windows and what does that entail?
If I need to reinstall windows is there anything special I have to do? Thank you
seadoge8
Superclocked Member
Re:Bios doesnt recognize Wd HDD but Win 7 & does 2012/01/08 16:53:23
Another question. I have a corsair 60 gb ssd and would like to know if you would use it for os or use the z68 smart cache technology?
buggyruth
FTW Member
Re:Bios doesnt recognize Wd HDD but Win 7 & does 2012/01/08 17:03:52
The Z68 is designed to use the ssd as a cache drive. I think you will get better performance by using the ssd as boot drive, I have mine set up  that way. Just my opinion.
ZelmoQuad
SSC Member
Re:Bios doesnt recognize Wd HDD but Win 7 & does 2012/01/08 19:33:22
SSD as Boot drive, hands down the way to go.
KenMcC
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Bios doesnt recognize Wd HDD but Win 7 & does 2012/01/12 14:04:34
The above 2 are probably correct for the use of an SSD.  I think even Tomshardware implied that. 
If you set your SSD to AHCI to start wilth (IMO limited on this), you should be able to set the BIOS to RAID without kill the Boot of your existing setup.  That is if you are not actually going to use RAID.  Please remember to backup all your disk before making this kind of change to your system.  I use the System Image feature of Win 7 Backup and Restore,  Works for me.
seadoge8
Superclocked Member
Re:Bios doesnt recognize Wd HDD but Win 7 & does 2012/01/12 17:12:00
Thanks guys. I reinstalled windows and set the SSD in raid with the HHD and its blazing fast. After you go to a program once the next time its much faster. I believe IMO, it seems to get faster the more you use a program. Happy with this feature on the Z68.
  • Back to Mobile