GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
iCX Member
2011/07/09 15:53:18
i think this is a commonly widespread issue with these cards.  since i got the card in novemeber (the first batches) i have been dealing with instability.  the system and card are completely stock.  i have had no need to overclock this gpu since it maxes everything out.

this was really dificult to diagnose becase it only occured in dx 10 and dx 11 environments.  alot of games i played in dx 9 never crashed so it took a while to fully understand.  the worst part of this is that my card may not be "defective" but may be driver related that has never been addressed by nvidia.  so i am hesitant to rma this thing, especially because of the shipping charges. 

when the crash occurs it may blank the screen before the artifacts appear or the artifacts may appear instantly and freeze up the system, requiring hard reboot.  oftentimes i recognize the crash and alt-tab to windows or another application to exit the program and the driver pops up says it has recovered.  if i do not catch and exit the crash by alt-tabbing (or alt-ctrl-del to task manager) the system will hard lock.  sometimes the sounds in the background will keep on playing during this crash.

the only solution i found, and this is a very temporary one and not bulletproof, was to increase the voltage of the gpu by a tad using msi afterburber.  stock voltage is 1.013 and if i increase it to 1.025 it will prevent the crashing in the new IL2 in DX 10, crysis 2 in DX 11 modes.  in Wow, though, it would not prevent the crashing....and it further puzzles me.

here is a picture of the crash and it's artifacts.  in this particular crash the artifacts appeared instantly with no chance of recovery.  it froze my system but i decided to take a snap shot.  they always look like this, like an S shape or the $ shape, in a way.  WoW was running in DX 11 mode here.

EDIT; further testing on my card indicates that i have to increase it's voltage to 1.050 to prevent WoW from crashing.  even at 1.038 voltage WoW still crashed like this.  i am now assuming that this is the best safest voltage (1.050) overal to keep the card stable overal and in my view, is considered a bulletproof solution as of now.
post edited by argh_sli - 2011/07/18 13:13:26
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 16:25:34
sure;

the gtx 580 was from a step-up program.  the previous gpu that it replaced was the gtx 480, of course.  the gtx 480 never experienced this type of crash in WoW DX 11 mode, or in bad company 2 DX 10 / DX 11 mode, either.

and yes, i have tested the system for stability with prime95 and memtest86 before when i had the gtx 480.  like i said, this issue only emerged once the gtx 580 was installed and a game environment was being played in DX 10 or DX 11.  even the new 3dmark 11 would crash with the same exact issue when i first got it.

core i7 930
6gb ram tripple channel
evga classified x58 3-way sli mobo
samsung F3 spinpoint 1gb hdd in raid 1
24" samsung 1080p monitor
ChrisS
EVGA Alumni
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 16:34:34
What are the specs or make/model of your power supply?
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 16:37:50
corsair 850W, the modular one, blue color.
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 16:40:29
and silverstone raven 2.  it's a super chasis and temps are beyond excellent.
_MatthewH
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 16:54:54
Do you have another PSU to test with?
post edited by EVGA_MatthewH - 2011/07/09 16:57:37
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 17:06:07
yes i can borrow a 750w psu and spent some time testing it.

but, in a way i feel like a waste of time doing that since the card is rock stable in dx9 games.  i could play FFXIV for hours on end and even with overclocked gpu, for example.  since the gtx 480 never gave me stability issues, and that was even slightly more power hungry, i assume it is not a defective psu.
tcermak
Superclocked Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 17:18:48
Have you tried reinstalling your direct x runtimes libraries
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 17:43:13
tcermak

Have you tried reinstalling your direct x runtimes libraries

i am pretty sure that stuff is updated when you instal new games and i installed many newer games.  i borrowed a gtx 570 about a month ago and that never crashed in a dx 10 game i was playing, where my 580 would always crash unless i increased it's voltage. 
kbnj123
Superclocked Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 20:13:28
My 580 does the same thing but only in Direct X 10 games (Crysis, Crysis WH, and Just Cause 2)  The artefacts look exactly like your screenshot.  I have had zero problems with Direct X 9 or 11 games.  
kmconstable
FTW Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 21:15:35
I think it is the GPU. Did you say you have been dealing with this since November and that other cards do not produce this issue?  That is enough for me because I have had zero issues with all of my cards and 2 of them were first day cards.  DX 9, 10, 11 all work fine for me.  cards are all overclocked while gaming to 850 core. 
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 21:42:52
Mine has never given such a hiccup. You mentioned the step-up program, do they give you RMA cards when you step-up, or are you certain it is a brand new one? I know that sometimes something that looks good with EVGA, doesn't always end up being what it looks initially....
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 23:29:16
kbnj123

My 580 does the same thing but only in Direct X 10 games (Crysis, Crysis WH, and Just Cause 2)  The artefacts look exactly like your screenshot.  I have had zero problems with Direct X 9 or 11 games.  

this is what i am thining, that it is a widespread issue and may not be hardware-related.  we need more folks to come out of the woodwork on this.
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 23:31:37
kmconstable

I think it is the GPU. Did you say you have been dealing with this since November and that other cards do not produce this issue?  That is enough for me because I have had zero issues with all of my cards and 2 of them were first day cards.  DX 9, 10, 11 all work fine for me.  cards are all overclocked while gaming to 850 core. 

from my tests, if enough voltage on the cards are applied then it may never crash like this.  but ths means that you would have to put up with more heat and fan noise...if you put your cards back to stock i am betting you will also experience this issue if you can ensure to only play in dx10 / 11 environments.

argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 23:32:37
chrisdglong

Mine has never given such a hiccup. You mentioned the step-up program, do they give you RMA cards when you step-up, or are you certain it is a brand new one? I know that sometimes something that looks good with EVGA, doesn't always end up being what it looks initially....

it was a brand new card.  i got the very first batch from the step up program and it came sealed in the box and all
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 23:35:12
Please post a screenshot of your Nvidia Control Panel (3d Settings)
It will take (2) SS to get all the infomation from the top and bottom...

argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 23:38:37
maniacvvv

Please post a screenshot of your Nvidia Control Panel (3d Settings)
It will take (2) SS to get all the infomation from the top and bottom...

my card is stock clocks and i never mess with nvidia control panel.  i have not messed with the control panel since i left the SLI scene last year.  i tried every single certified driver and even some betas since the 580 came out.  i am sitting on  270.61.  the newer 275.33 driver refuses to even instal (crahses during installation) so i am waiting for the "new new" one. 

do you really need the screenshots?

edit; i'll go ahead and post them anyway... 

post edited by argh_sli - 2011/07/09 23:46:01
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/09 23:45:08
No not really, you just pointed out your own problem..

If you cannot even install the latest drivers, then it's time for a FULL proper driver uninstall, driver sweep and reinstall with your CURRENT working driver.
Then.. try to install the new one that failed.. if it goes in properly, I bet your artifact issues get fixed.

If it still does not work, then it time for a FULL reformat and a fresh OS install

Your artifacts and the fact that you get a failure when installing a approved driver, suggest that you have corruption in either the driver and/or in your Windows install.

While your screenshot of the artifacts in WOW, suggests classic videocard memory failure..
The fact that it does not happen in DX9 rules that memory failure out as an issue, since the same memory is used for both.

While the card itself "may" be defective, the only way to know would be to fix your obivous video driver problems -first- 

A defective card wont take one driver, but not another...
-->Personally, I would reformat and get a fresh OS install to test with.   

post edited by maniacvvv - 2011/07/09 23:58:53
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 00:12:20
maniacvvv

No not really, you just pointed out your own problem.. 

tried driver sweeper in the past for this, it did not help.  i have no issues installing any of the certified gtx 580 drivers except for the 275.33 as they fail during instal.  these drivers are known to fail during instal and it is a widespread issue so i am simply waiting for the new ones that are currently in beta.

my issue goes beyond a simple drive sweeper and "format your OS" advice.  the driver instals are clean and there is no software corruption in my system, either.  i have been building these computers since 2001.  my systems have always been healthy.

anyway, i think that either there could be bad batches of these cards circulating around or nvidia drivers are to blame.
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 00:13:52
Sorry your having issues bro

280.xx (or whatever its going to be) is right around the corner, you wont have to wait long
post edited by maniacvvv - 2011/07/10 00:18:15
Moltenlava
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 03:52:19
argh_sli

kmconstable

from my tests, if enough voltage on the cards are applied then it may never crash like this.  but ths means that you would have to put up with more heat and fan noise...if you put your cards back to stock i am betting you will also experience this issue if you can ensure to only play in dx10 / 11 environments.

I run my GTX 580 at stock speeds, never OC'ed it or increased the voltage, no need to at the moment, I play plenty of DirX 10, 11 games, if the game support it I will play it in the highest setting/dir x available.  I dont have this problem or ever had it, I have zero issues with my GTX 580 other than one created by myself creating a general Ambient Occlusion rule on the Nvidia Control Panel.

If it doesnt happen in Dir X 9 this would suggest either a GPU issue as certain parts of the GPU wont be utilised in DirX 9 or a power issue as Dir X 10,11 will use more of the GPU/resources which ofcourse will need more power and put more stress on the GPU.  Possibly the GPU in your GTX 580 isnt as good as it should be and right off the bad needs more voltage than the stock GTX 580 voltage (depending on how good a GPU is when its manufactured will have a bearing on the minimum voltage it would need to sustain its default clocks

If your GTX 480 worked fine with the same PSU then I would be thinking about RMAing the 580 or atleast getting hold of another PSU just to rule it out.  Troubleshooting is a **** but doing things, even though you suspect its not the issue is the only real way to have a good idea what is causing the problem.

This problem may affect a few people but its not "widespread" or common. usually you only hear from consumers who are having a problem not the other 90% who are experiencing trouble free gaming.
kmconstable
FTW Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 08:21:26
I also run my cards with 1.1(I think) volts when gaming.  They typically run at higher voltage than yours even just idling at stock.  Could be that somehow the card is set to have too low voltage for some reason.  In my book if that is the case then you can either use something like Afterburner or maybe EVGA could give you a different bios with slightly higher voltage.  I also have no heat issues at all with my cards.  Other than SLI related heat.  Good luck!
MilenaM
Superclocked Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 08:21:27
Some cards seem to be undervolted for a few DX11 titles. I had similar problems with DX11 games only and increasing the voltages of my not-overclocked 580's from 1,013 stock to 1,050V did the trick.
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1111447

I got no artifacts as shown in the screenshot above, just a black screen and then crash to the desktop with nvidia driver recovery message (basically the normal message you get when you OC without enough voltage).
Andrea deluxe
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 08:40:05
everything in my house 'means that evga does not test well to the GPU voltage required before the marketing of cards.
MilenaM
Superclocked Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 08:44:34
MSI offers tweaked BIOS updates if users request a tad more voltage for their card, can EVGA do anything like that?
Could save them some RMAs maybe.
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 13:05:34
kmconstable

I also run my cards with 1.1(I think) volts when gaming.  They typically run at higher voltage than yours even just idling at stock.  Could be that somehow the card is set to have too low voltage for some reason.  In my book if that is the case then you can either use something like Afterburner or maybe EVGA could give you a different bios with slightly higher voltage.  I also have no heat issues at all with my cards.  Other than SLI related heat.  Good luck!

if you can help out the cause and set your gpu's to stock clocks and voltage for a while, run your dx10/11 titles and see if it happens to you, it would help out.  with 3 cards under your belt, there is a good chance you will experience it.

i am wondering; if whatever mechanism determines the voltage of these cards during assembly was not doing it's job, that the end result was an unknown batch quantity that was shipped with too low voltages.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 13:26:44
Doesn't seem to be that widespread of an issue. However, it is true that Crysis 2 seems to require a bit more GPU vcore for over clock stability than any other title (over a dozen) so far. I had to bump mine from 850mhz at 1.050v to 1.063v or I would experience crashing in Crysis 2 with DX11, high res pack, and all the eye candy maxed.
HippieMagic
SSC Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 13:40:59
I just don't think this issue is all that widespread either.  I have run for hours on stock voltages with SLI GTX 580s without so much as a hiccup(other than driver related issues in BC2).
thexcodec
SSC Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 15:16:31
All four of my cards are perfect.
No problems on any game, at any settings.

I think it is just bad luck, or bad software.

I only use the 266 drivers for they only work for me!
kmconstable
FTW Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 15:23:33
argh_sli

kmconstable

if you can help out the cause and set your gpu's to stock clocks and voltage for a while, run your dx10/11 titles and see if it happens to you, it would help out.  with 3 cards under your belt, there is a good chance you will experience it.

i am wondering; if whatever mechanism determines the voltage of these cards during assembly was not doing it's job, that the end result was an unknown batch quantity that was shipped with too low voltages.

Be happy to.  I think though that mine run 1.038 stock.  At least the first two, but sure thing!
df2rools
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 20:16:11
I have the exact same problem! happened to me with crysis 2 and FEAR 3 so far, just that the white S's your getting are green for me, and i can alt tab and quit because the game crashed.

the card's clocks dip to idle and go back to full when this happens.

Im on everything stock in my system. 2600k evga gtx 580 gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3p-b3.
it happens rarely but is still annoying!

Am I going to have to RMA mine? ;3
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/10 22:01:22
df2rools

I have the exact same problem! happened to me with crysis 2 and FEAR 3 so far, just that the white S's your getting are green for me, and i can alt tab and quit because the game crashed.

the card's clocks dip to idle and go back to full when this happens.

Im on everything stock in my system. 2600k evga gtx 580 gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3p-b3.
it happens rarely but is still annoying!

Am I going to have to RMA mine? ;3

no do not RMA yet.  i mean the technically correct thing is to rma it but the replacement card may be doing the same thing so trying to save you the shipping costs.  let's see if we can get more people to come out of the woodwork and get an official responce from evga or nvidia first.

yes the clocks on the gpu will dip to idle (idle or zero readings for a split second, i don't remember) and shoot right back to default clocks.  you can temporarily remedy the issue by applying 1.050 voltage to the card through msi afterburner until we hear something.

when did you get your card?  was it the first releases when the card came out or newer batches?
df2rools
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/11 05:43:30
Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing, send the card in, wait 3weeks and get sent one that does the exact same thing? I would be pisst.

I got ordered mine on june 18th this year, i'd do a newegg advanced RMA but I sent my rebate in already

I guess I could try extra voltage. but I don't want to shorten my card's life/warranty.

really disappointed, only a few weeks and its already giving me problems =/
campisia
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/11 08:13:23
WOW,  I'm so happy I found this post.

Please check my issues as I'm having the same exact problem (Crysis 2 and Fear 3) on  my Geforce 590.
I decided to purchase another unit and will go with lifetime warranty.

PLEASE CHECK http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1100868&high=campisia

argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/11 17:13:18
i think it would be a good idea for the folks that are experience this issue to state the stock voltage of your card(s).  we may somehow get enough data to see that maybe the affected cards are hovering around the same (low?) voltage from factory.

i want to remind anyone that wishes to contribute on the manner that they are running their gpu(s) at factory stock when they experience this.  if you are running overclocked then we really can't use that data due to obvious reasons so please ensure your cards are stock.

stock voltage for my gtx 580 is 1.013
Krony
FTW Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/11 17:20:23
As i mentioned in another thread i'll try mine on stock clocks but with running sli and the cards having different stock voltages it's hard to really test properly as one of the cards is always gonna have a differnt voltage that it was shipped with.
Top card is 1.0v
Bottom card is 1.038v
Ill test with them both running 1.0v and 1.038v
_MatthewH
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/11 18:22:35
Can anyone having a problem that is fixed by increasing the voltage please list your PSU and if you have another PSU to test with / the results.

@Krony its normal for cards to have different voltages, please leave them at stock as under volting a card may cause instability.
Krony
FTW Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/11 18:26:18
EVGA_MatthewH

Can anyone having a problem that is fixed by increasing the voltage please list your PSU and if you have another PSU to test with / the results.

@Krony its normal for cards to have different voltages, please leave them at stock as under volting a card may cause instability.

If i am running sli and i don't run a program like Afterburner do both cards run at their stock voltage ? sry but this is my first time with sli so a bit of a noob :P
lee146
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/12 15:07:09
i'm having the same issues with wow as everyone else in this forum im hoping its just a bad driver as for so many to have bad cards would be a bit ludicrous, i am currently trying out upping the voltage as my stock voltage is only 0.988 (think that's what it says anyway)
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/12 15:31:38
lee146

i'm having the same issues with wow as everyone else in this forum im hoping its just a bad driver as for so many to have bad cards would be a bit ludicrous, i am currently trying out upping the voltage as my stock voltage is only 0.988 (think that's what it says anyway)

from my testing you need 1.050 voltage to keep WoW stable.  even 1.038 is not enough for this game.
edit; i just realized that you have a gtx 570.  in that case take up the voltage to 1.025 and if not stable then try 1.050 to ensure stability.  you would have to play around with it to get the lowest stable voltage.  if you can keep us updated on which voltage setting stabalized the game it would be appreciated!
post edited by argh_sli - 2011/07/12 15:58:13
_MatthewH
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/12 15:40:44
I'd like to collect some data on this. First confirm this problem happens at stock clocks/voltages and the problem is alleviated by over volting the card. If so please e-mail me the following and put "over volt" in the subject line, nothing else. Also please ensure these tests are without any OC on any other part of the system:

Model # of your card:
SLI: (yes/no) If yes: Confirm it happens with one or both cards, individually.
Stock voltage:
Minimum stable voltage:
Can you re-create this consistently? If so which applications/games:
Please describe the crash, BSOD, black screen, driver failure?:
At stock can you pass 3dmark11, OC Scanner, and Heaven without issue? If not which fail:
Make/Model of Mobo and PSU:

Thank you for your time, please copy/paste the template and change your response to each question to red text.
sew333
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 12:20:40
So what is voltage on PNY GTX 580, the same like on EVGA??? I get only issues on FEAR 3 ( crashing with black screen and then appcrash to desktop )

Event log says that : nvdisplay crash and recover. ( 4101 )

Everything is on stock. No oc. So RMA card or change stock voltage? I see that many peoples got these problems even on stock voltages on gtx 580. But what now i must to do?

EVEN CRYSIS 2 dont crashing on Dx11 like on others persons with gtx580. Only FEAR 3 on Dx11 is crashing:( But this dx11 is worst  than on Crysis 2. I dont see even dx11 features in FEAR3 and this game is crashing. Strange....
post edited by sew333 - 2011/07/18 12:29:32
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 12:58:35
sew333

So what is voltage on PNY GTX 580, the same like on EVGA??? I get only issues on FEAR 3 ( crashing with black screen and then appcrash to desktop )

Everything is on stock. No oc. So RMA card or change stock voltage? I see that many peoples got these problems even on stock voltages on gtx 580. But what now i must to do?

EVEN CRYSIS 2 dont crashing on Dx11 like on others persons with gtx580. Only FEAR 3 on Dx11 is crashing:( But this dx11 is worst  than on Crysis 2. I dont see even dx11 features in FEAR3 and this game is crashing. Strange....

put the gpu voltage at 1.050 with msi afterburner and see if it crashes.  something similar happens with my card.  every application will stabilize if i increase from stock voltage of 1.013 and put it to 1.025 but WoW will still crash.  WoW needs 1.050 voltage to stabalize it while all other applications of mine don't.  you may be experiencing similar issue.
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 13:07:35
What a terribly long read...

I'm sorry but this all comes down to buggy games and inexperienced users.

Asjusting voltage does not "fix" a buggy game.

These comments about these issues are "in my opinion" due to a lack of understanding the differences between driversets, game updates and patches and user errors.

Run DX 10 and DX11 benchmarks like Heaven, Vantage and Mark11 (and the correct drivers) 

If you do not experiance issues, then there are NO problems with the videocards and NO voltage adjustments should be made from stock.

Quit blaming hardware and voltage for buggy games and buggy patches that work differently on EVERY driverset.

WOW crashes or artifacts in DX11 (its buggy)
Crysis2 is the same (its buggy) 
FEAR3 is the same... (its buggy)

Unstable overclocks makes it worse
Borderline PSU's makes it worse
Using overlays makes it worse
Bad RAM timings makes it worse
Videocard overheating makes it worse 
ETC ETC

I understand such problems are frustrating. But you do not adjust voltage from stock to fix a buggy game -period- 
post edited by maniacvvv - 2011/07/18 13:15:49
shaneduce
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 13:47:37
WoW dosen't run in DX11 from the defalt seting's you get to force it to run in DX11 mode whitch is not suported fully by Bliz. My V. is 1.088 on my 2 GTX 580 SC's I had a driver recovery in DX11 mode in wow untill I was able to comply formated my drive and fresh install of Win7 and drivers then I did a fresh instal of WoW. After I did all of that in Feb it fix it for me. I got my first card in Jan. 
sew333
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 14:14:20
argh_sli

sew333

put the gpu voltage at 1.050 with msi afterburner and see if it crashes.  something similar happens with my card.  every application will stabilize if i increase from stock voltage of 1.013 and put it to 1.025 but WoW will still crash.  WoW needs 1.050 voltage to stabalize it while all other applications of mine don't.  you may be experiencing similar issue.

You have Gtx 580 ( no OC version ) ? What brand? And did you have like me too crashing in FEaR 3?
Krony
FTW Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 14:15:24
Well i backed off my clocks to 825MHz @ 1.088v and had no issues running the 275.27 beta's, all other games i have played ran with no issues at 850MHz so i guess better drivers and game patches are still needed as maniacvvv stated.
sew333
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 14:17:15
maniacvvv

These comments about these issues are "in my opinion" due to a lack of understanding the differences between driversets, game updates and patches and user errors.

Run DX 10 and DX11 benchmarks like Heaven, Vantage and Mark11 (and the correct drivers) 

If you do not experiance issues, then there are NO problems with the videocards and NO voltage adjustments should be made from stock.

Quit blaming hardware and voltage for buggy games and buggy patches that work differently on EVERY driverset.

ETC ETC

I understand such problems are frustrating. But you do not adjust voltage from stock to fix a buggy game -period- 

For me crash with ( 4101 ID ) is important. That means if driver recover, is meaning that something is wrong with hardware. That was not simple app crash. If i see 4101 ndl..sys crash i am worried. But like when i saw many peoples with the same cards , with the same problem now i am thinkING THAT this problem is overall with todays Fermi. SO Changing to other card is without sense. Cause problem may repeat on next card.
post edited by sew333 - 2011/07/18 14:19:29
tzaar0723
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 14:23:10
maniacvvv

ETC ETC

HUGE +1.

Bottom line -- It shouldn't be up to the hardware vendors to make buggy games work. 
HippieMagic
SSC Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 14:41:25
WoW ran in DX11 for me fine without having to adjust anything.  It's a menu option now that, in my case, was already set on the appropriate setting.  I run WoW on max settings for everything.

My voltage is currently 1.082 and I have not had a single crash in WoW other than when I alt-tabbed to the desktop then back and it crashed to the desktop.  There were no artifacts or anything.
sew333
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 14:51:44
i get this but very rarely while playing FEAR 3 , look: this is caused from too low voltage, right? But i dont have of course OC.

post edited by sew333 - 2011/07/18 14:56:33
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 16:18:50
Krony

Well i backed off my clocks to 825MHz @ 1.088v and had no issues running the 275.27 beta's, all other games i have played ran with no issues at 850MHz so i guess better drivers and game patches are still needed as maniacvvv stated.

you stated earlier you would go back to stock.  1.088v is not stock so you would never experience the symptom described in this thread.
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 16:19:56
HippieMagic

WoW ran in DX11 for me fine without having to adjust anything.  It's a menu option now that, in my case, was already set on the appropriate setting.  I run WoW on max settings for everything.

My voltage is currently 1.082 and I have not had a single crash in WoW other than when I alt-tabbed to the desktop then back and it crashed to the desktop.  There were no artifacts or anything.

what is the stock voltage of your gtx 580?
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 16:23:01
sew333

argh_sli

sew333

You have Gtx 580 ( no OC version ) ? What brand? And did you have like me too crashing in FEaR 3?

evga 580 vanilla for me.  i never played fear 3 so can't help you with that game.  the only think i advise is to simply bump the voltage to 1.050 via msi afterburner and see if that fixes your issue.  if your problem is related to the voltage issue it will solve it so try and let us know.
HippieMagic
SSC Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 16:35:21
argh_sli

HippieMagic

This is stock.  I have the SC version and I believe they are 1.088v stock.  Afterburner shows me at 1.082v 797/1594/2025 and I am running in SLI.  At first I thought this was just a handful of people but by the looks of things I am sort of thinking the stock voltage is actually to blame after reading this thread.  I haven't seen any issues at all from mine in anything but bad company 2 which caused BSODs repeatedly until I switched the drivers and ran a fan profile.

The only difference between the SC and Vanilla is that the SC has a mild overclock isn't it?  Then technically you could get away with running the card at SC speeds to see if that fixes all your issues.

I know this is about the stock reference card but honestly all feedback helps determine a safe area for you to be to avoid the issues you described as long as we aren't counting the ridiculous overclocks some people have.
post edited by HippieMagic - 2011/07/18 16:38:50
argh_sli
iCX Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 16:47:57
HippieMagic

argh_sli

HippieMagic

This is stock.  I have the SC version and I believe they are 1.088v stock.  Afterburner shows me at 1.082v 797/1594/2025 and I am running in SLI.  At first I thought this was just a handful of people but by the looks of things I am sort of thinking the stock voltage is actually to blame after reading this thread.  I haven't seen any issues at all from mine in anything but bad company 2 which caused BSODs repeatedly until I switched the drivers and ran a fan profile.

The only difference between the SC and Vanilla is that the SC has a mild overclock isn't it?  Then technically you could get away with running the card at SC speeds to see if that fixes all your issues.

I know this is about the stock reference card but honestly all feedback helps determine a safe area for you to be to avoid the issues you described as long as we aren't counting the ridiculous overclocks some people have.

WOW 1.088v stock?!?!  then hell yes, you would never experience the issue!

no this is about stock any gtx 580 card.  the most important thing for people to report on is what their stock voltages of their gpu are.

i'll say it again;  i think whatever mechanism dictated the voltages of the card on the assembly line was / is malfunctioning.  some gpu's are rolling out undervolted.
post edited by argh_sli - 2011/07/18 16:53:22
maniacvvv
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 17:57:26
(2) 580's both arrived at 1.000v stock

Zero issues (none of anykind) at stock clocks
Both cards will Vantage, Heaven and Mark11 test at 900core, mem stock with-->no voltage changes needed.

If anything like what is reported in this thread was really happening... my cards would certainly NOT perform as they are.

They idle cool

And they benchmark cool

I have NEVER had a driver failure at stock in any game or benchmark--> ever 

What is being discussed in this thread is buggy game code, driver versions that perform very differently between games, poor user configs and inexperience.

The cards are fine, as the return rates prove... on a proper test rig, there is nothing wrong with them.

The known issues with 500 series cards? Incorrect NV control panel settings, HD audio drivers on poorly configured systems, Improper use of sleep modes with Windows 7, borderline system overclocks, incorrect RAM and/or timings, PSU issues, wrong driverset choices -and- BUGGY GAMES

Not default GPU voltages 

post edited by maniacvvv - 2011/07/18 18:22:12

Attached Image(s)

kidcrumb
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 18:53:25
Use precision to set the fan speed with the custom mode. Set it so the fan speed equals the temperature. I used to have crashes all the time, then i made that small change and now my card sits at 67c under load where it would be at 81c load with higher and louder fan speed. 

So set up the fans so that if it is at 75c, 76c, or 77c then the fan speed would be accordingly 75%,76%, 77%. 
shaneduce
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 19:03:53
My WoW issue was crashing to desktop in DX11 mode butt that was all.
_MatthewH
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:GTX 580 crashing with DX 10 and DX 11 environments only?! common widespread issue?! 2011/07/18 19:09:11
If your are having an issue where over volting the cards fixes any issues your having could you please read my post and e-mail me the information I requested. We would like to get one of the cards in-house and see if we can re-produce the issue.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
  • Back to Mobile