Case Mod Day #2
I finished the case mod this morning. It was actually much easier than I thought it would be & overall turned out looking pretty good. I'll let you be the judges of that
. I also found the way i modded the case to turn out better overall than the link I provided above as it allows much more airflow into the case.
I started by finding the center of my case and temp mounted 2 120mm fans to the bottom to give me my outline. I cut just inside the lines to allow a pretty precise fit, but I was not worried about being perfect as I plan to line the bottom of the radiator with weather stripping to provide an air tight seal.
After I made my cuts I took a quick snap shot of the metal piece I will be removing. The metal at this point is still rough and needs a good sanding. As you can see the cutting made a bit of a mess hence why I lined the case with plastic trash bags so I wouldn't have to do to much cleaning after the cutting. The overall cutting took 3 Dremel cutting wheels, I had purchased 5 just in case.
I than used the sanding tools that came with my Dremel tool to sand down the sharp edges. I than touched up the rough metal with black paint. (Still wet int his image) I had also drilled the 6 holes i would need to mount the radiator to the bottom of the case.
It is hard to understand what I am actually doing here without the radiator to show you what is going on. So I went ahead and jerry-rigged a few 120MM fans to just show you what area the radiator will cover. In the actual build the fans will sit on top of the radiator sucking in the air.
I might try a Push/Pull setup in the lower area, but I think it will constrict the overall airflow and the space will than be completely filled up.
To address the issue of dust and other crap getting sucked in I purchased 2 DEMCiflex 140mm Magnetic Fan Dust Filters
which do not restrict airflow and catch the smallest of particles.
I have to say I have never been this tired in my life. Okay maybe not in my life, but man assembling fittings and getting things mounted takes a lot out of a person.
Today was a huge day as I received all the items needed to complete the CPU loop, and most of the items for the GPU loop. In general I will start today's update with what I remembered to take pictures of.
I started the day off by Dying all the misc cables that will be seen with vinyl black. Vinyl black absorbs into the cabling allowing a nice sleek black color to stay. This stuff leaves the cable flexible and the color non-flakable. The overall look to me is better than basic cable covers and it applies like normal paint.
Here you can see where I taped off the cables to paint only what would be seen in the case. I left the hidden stuff alone.
After that I installed the 360 radiator along with the 3 fans that will keep it cool. I mounted the fans with weather stripping on the inside of the fans which you can't really see in images and also a nice tight seal on top of the radiator which you can see a little bit.
In this image the gray looking stuff in the weather stripping. It is actually black, but with the flash it turned gray.
In this next image you can see the socket head screws I used along with the rubber spacers to make sure the screws didn't go to far into the radiator and of course to leave the top of the case unscratched.
I than got myself to the fun stuff. I mounted the radiator with its proper fitting and started to measure out the tubing. Overall this process went fast as I had preplanned how I wanted everything routed in the case.
I than moved my focus to getting the water block on the CPU & Chipset. This process again was easy as I had already prepped the motherboard for this.
Once that was complete it was time to mount the motherboard in the case so I can get ready to test all the connections in the system & prime her up for leak testing. You should always do this with just the loop powered only. I have no power connected to the motherboard or other components outside of the pump, fans & fan controller. I am using a PSU tester to allow me to turn on the PSU without it being hooked up to the motherboard.
I have yet to add liquid to the system but it is the next step i will be taking tonight. So hopefully by the end of the night I will have a full loop primed and ready to go.
<message edited by sledgehammer70 on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:34 AM>