1) PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible and will work just fine in your older mobo (and the GT 640 pcmaster00 linked you to is a very decent deal).
2) You could just strap about a 60mm fan
on the 9800 GT with rubber bands (fans are dirt cheap).
3) You could buy a replacement VGA cooling fan
(if you can find a proper one which will match up and with the screw holes of the original one, or has adjustable/universal mounting)
4) You could do like I did and disassemble the card, remove the fan and lubricate the bearing (providing the bearing/sleeve isn't completely trashed) from the underside, the fan setup should be very similar if not identical to my 9800 GTX:
5) And most importantly, RMA it if it's under warranty.
And also, welcome to the forums.
<message edited by bob16314 on Monday, August 13, 2012 4:25 AM>
*Cooler Master NV-334 * EVGA 790i FTW * Intel Q6600 (G0) lapped @ 3.6GHz
* Corsair H80 * Seasonic M12II 750W * 2 x 2GB Patriot Viper Extreme PVS34G1600LLKN * EVGA 9800 GTX @ GTX+ SSC * WD 500GB Caviar Black * Win7 HP 64-bit *
"If it ain't broke, fix it untill it is"
"There is no measure of health in becoming well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"
"ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) should be a convenience store, not a government agency"
Thanks, to the cool ppl I helped that PM'd a Forum Moderator
and requested me a Blue Ribbon.