So, after some frustration and wondering why in the world I even attempted to go the WC route, I have finally finished my first "major" mod of my rig (aside from adding some cards and swapping fans). All I did (for part 1) was to put my CPU on the loop. With that, I realize that many of the components I have are massive overkill for just my CPU, but I'm planning on moving my GPU's to WC as well (at some point in time).
This is the parts list:
Pump: Koolance PMP-450
Res: Koolance RP-452X2 (Rev 2.0)
Rad: Black Ice Xtreme 3 X-flow
Block: Koolance CPU-370
Fans: Cooler Master High Performance SickleFlow 120mm (x3).
Assorted fittings, tubing, coolant, etc...
Prior to this, I was going with the blue theme. The top three fans in my case (Corsair 700D) were Blue LED fans
I decided that I wanted to move to a Red theme - so the fans for the Rad are red and I replaced the bottom 140 and the back 120 fans with red LED as well.
Anyway, on to the process and some lessons learned. Setting it all up was, for the most part pretty easy. Two major rules I learned:
- Never cut your tub to the length you know you need - allow a few inches more and trim it back as needed. This is especially important if you have a bay res that you plan on sliding out to fill.....
- Never give up - there is always a solution (or RMA...)
Now, after I finally got all the tubing to the length I needed, I hooked everything up, jumped the PSU, filled the res, flipped the switch and......nothing. The pump wouldn't spin. After cursing, throwing things, grumbling at the family, wishing bad things upon good people, I remembered rule #2. Taking a deep breath, I started to try and figure out what was going on. I pulled the res/pump out and hooked up a simple loop (out of the res and right back in). Worked like a champ. So, nothing wrong with the pump. Maybe I just missed something and didn't have it hooked up right (maybe the molex was bad). Reassembled everything, hooked everything up, jumped the PSU, filled the res, flipped the switch and.....yup....nothing.
Anways - long story short, but to prove never give up....I had an air block in the system somewhere. Not sure exactly where but it finally worked itself out. Of course that was after I filled the entire system with a full bottle of coolant and sat the rig on it's back for the whole night.
Ok...so, it's working. On to leak testing...
24 hours later and it's working like a charm.
Not wanting to be left out of the loop (pun intended), my son decided I needed an awesome case badge for my rig.
Well, the first chapter of the water cooling saga is closed for me. Going to let this run for a little bit and let things settle in (and the TIM bake for a bit). I'll post back with how the temps faired against my old H70.