8 gigs of corsair ddr3 2000 mhz PC3-16000 (cmz4gx3m2a2000c10), received. I set the voltage and timing as recommended (1.50 V 10-10-10-27) then burn tested in pairs (high, 10 passes), then tested all at once (very high, 20 passes). Everything looks good so i plan to follow the steps in post 31 to see if i'm stable at 1600 mhz. I'll keep you posted.
Ok so everything does not look good, it looks confusing... So when I only run 2 sticks in the primary slots I can use the Corsair recommended 10-10-10-27 timing (still linked and synched). However, when I put all 4 sticks in I get a long beep/ C1 POST error and I end up at the "safe boot" screen. When I check the BIOS nothing is changed except the timing for the RAM which reverts to the "optimal" settings of 9-9-9-24 (still linked and synched).
When this happened the first time I set the timing back to 10-10-10-27 saved and exited the BIOS. When I got the C1 error again I just "F1'd" through the safe boot screen thinking it would try using my settings and I could check the stability. Apparently it applies the 9-9-9-24 timing, which is what I tested yesterday and Burn declared stable. I figured this out when I booted up again tonight and got the C1 error again and the BIOS is still forcing 9-9-9-24. If I understand correctly this means it won't boot with the recommended, slower, timing. The safe boot screen tells me all 8 gigs are "OK", should I just keep going with the faster timing? I haven't a clue as to what could be wrong, all 4 sticks of the OCZ worked at non "optimal" timing (9-9-9-30) so I’m stumped. Any suggestions? In the meantime I’ll try running Burn on the highest setting...
One last thought, while waiting on the Corsair ram I went back to the OCZ and tried installing my "new" GTX 280, things went well after I resolved a driver problem (see http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=1459652
) for about 3 hours. I ran some 3D Mark Vantage benchmarks then played some Withcer 2 then went to bed. When I went to play the following evening I couldn't get the game to start and I found that 3D Mark locked on the first frame of the GPU test. If I disable SLI, and just use my old GTX 280 everything works fine so I’ve removed the "new" GPU assuming that my refurb is a POS. I think this is a separate issue but I thought I’d include the information just incase it helps the diagnosis.
<message edited by mrzenmaster77 on Friday, February 24, 2012 5:04 PM>
Antec Solo Mid Tower Case (and appropriate case fans)
Corsair HX 1000 W PSU
EVGA nVidia 790i SLI mobo (SZ17 BIOS) and 15.58 WHQL
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale @ 4.05 GHz (1800 FSB X9 Multi)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
Corsair DDR3-2000, PC3-16000, 8 Gigs (4x2Gig)
EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1G 512-bit GPU x2 SLI (Driver 290.53)
Running Vista 64bit Home Premium (all updates)